Home Forums General Discussion Forum Sawing metal…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I am curious how you cut metal stock in your shops. I’ve seen some old electric hacksaws, but I’m not sure if they are worth the investment to buy used and then refurbish. I’m looking for something that I can cut bar/round stock with good accuracy. – brass aluminum and steel – something that will reside on a table and not break the bank. I know I am asking for a lot.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
      tmac

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        The problem with saws is to get one to cut a reasonably large piece of metal and end up with a straight cut, the saw is going to be expensive. The least expensive way to saw metal is with a hand held hacksaw. It is time consuming but it works. The next step up is a hand leld power bandsaw. Harbor Freight has one that can be purchased for under $100.00 on sale. This saw is difficult to control and does not cut particularlly straight. The next step up is a stand mounted horizontal band saw that sells for under $300.00. It will cut but it will not give you a straight cut. The saws that use hydraulic feed systems cut straighter as they get larger but they start in at around $1000.00 and go up from there.
        david

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.