Home Forums General Discussion Forum ROSE ENGINE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Check out Ebay item #390465800522. I have never heard of one of these machines being for sale.

randy
      Participant

holy cow…if I only had an extra 20k floating around…what a find !

michael weaver
        Participant

I would love to buy that and then make a candle holder….. I wouldn’t know what else to do with something like that. Definitely cool though.

tmac1956
          Participant

Michael:

Those beasts are used to cut patterns in metal, like on the backs of watch cases or on plates. They are hard to find and are way out of my budget anyway. I won’t even go look at it as it’ll just make me feel bad. ;)

Later,
            Tom

michael weaver
            Participant

Yeah I was just nudging David a little bit. Using a $20,000 machine to cut candle holders….David’s blood pressure rises :D . By the way, Tom or David..I can’t seem to find the dial indicator on enco that you were talking about. Is there one for a decent price that is not so poorly made that I won’t accuracy issues?

Edit: Would this be sufficient?? http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/67663-magnetic-holder-indicator-base-sets.html

tmac1956
              Participant

Michael:

That’s the one that I use on my lathe. It works fine for me and I think its accurate to 0.001″. I use mine mostly to line up my quick change tool holder perpendicular to the lathe bed.

Later,
                Tom

david pierce
                Participant

Tom,
                  I believe the accuracy is far better than that. If I can find the time I will check mine out with some gage blocks and a surface plate.
                  david

michael weaver
                  Participant

David, do you have the same one?

david pierce
                    Participant

Mike,
                      Yes I have one and it is a very nice indicator. I think Tom was refering to the dial markings which are .0005 (half thousandths). The actual accuracy of the indicator is the amount of distance to move the probe and show up on the dial. That should be at least .000050 or smaller. If the spindle runout is around + or – .0001, the lathe will be OK. This means that if you put the probe into the spindle taper and the dial moves only a tiny amount when you rotate the spindle, the runout is acceptable.
                      david

michael weaver
                      Participant

Thank you guys. That is the one I will get then.

tmac1956
                        Participant

Here’s a Rose Engine that even I can afford. eBay #161184634050 ;)
                          Tom

Bob Tascione

Thanks Tom!
                            I’m going to buy the plans right now.
                            Paul (Arutha) directed me to some Rose Engine plans several months ago. The MDF by Jon Magill plans look fairly simple to build (which I never got around to) and may just turn out a fairly accurate machine. One link to his pdf can be found by scrolling down the following page at http://www.whidbeyworks.com/root/MDF_Rose_Engine.html . There are many other sites that have the pdf available as well as other rose engine plans.
                            Also a very interesting forum at http://ornamentalturners.org/forum/index.php

Clockmaker David Lindow and his partner manufacture a beautiful Rose Engine for those who are interested in doing this work professionally. I’ll try to dig up a link to either his site or youtube video and will add it to this post.

Bob

edit: Found a ton of youtube videos put out by David and his partner. Put in Lindow White Rose Engine into youtube search.
                            Enjoy!

tmac1956
                            Participant

Bob:

That’s some great information. I didn’t realize that current versions of these old machines are being manufactured.

Thanks!
                              Tom

chris mabbott
                              Participant

I would love to learn this machine, saw a youtube vid somewhere of a private Swiss watch company using one similar to this for their movements. I’ll get to it right after I master graver making from a blank 😆

Thanks for sharing..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.