Home Forums General Discussion Forum roller jewel corner shake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Good morning everyone,

Does anyone know of or have any tricks on seeing the roller jewel corner shake? I’m trying to observe it and am having some difficulties obtaining a more clear view.

Thanks

willofiam

I haven’t tried it but would a depthing tool work? difficult to see in there sometime, I have microscopes that help alot in seeing some of that stuff. William

chris mabbott
        Participant

Can you tell us the type of movement that you’re working on, is it a full plate 18s or a 3/4 model, or is it an open 16s ?

When you say corner shake, do you mean the contact between the roller jewel and the horns of the palet? I ask because terminology is subjective and I want to be on the same page to provide as accurate answer as possible :)

chaplin37
          Participant

i have read that a depthing tool would work. Yes its a size 16 and yes it the contact with the roller jewel and the horns. I know there is peep holes in the pillar plates but i can only observe the pallet jewels contacting the escapement wheel.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Is this watch a single or double roller?
              Without seeing your particular movement I’m answering blind, but usually a 16s escapement/pallet/roller can be observed either from the side, top or both. You need an 8x loupe and a bright light, and without power to the train (in unwound state) you can gently manipulate the balance wheel while observing the action from the side, or some such angle.
              I usually remove the hairspring when I do this.

This is my personal technique that I’ve developed for myself, loosely based on actual approved methods, and NOT the official way.

The two view holes are for observing the action between the pallet stones and the escape wheel teeth, so you won’t see much from that perspective.

I’ve not used a depthing tool to check roller/pallet fit, only for tooth contact, but i would suggest keeping it as simple as possible to begin with. I have no idea how that method works, but I would be interested to hear about someones experience with it..

chris mabbott
              Participant

As it happens, I’m trying to restore this early first model Hampden 18s, these things are lovely when they are fully demaskeened, but I question my sanity as to why I’m struggling and wasting time on this horse and cart when I have a 67 vette split window to service 😆
                This is basically a brass sandwich with a few gears and mayo, I mean, I don’t even find these pretty, guess I’m a sucker for a charity case 🙄

Anyhow,as you can see, there isn’t much room for our viewing pleasure, but with the gears out, we have a good vista, well, an ok one..

chris mabbott
                Participant

I think your 16s should have a lot better viewing area, depending on its config.. Here on the more difficult to see full plate model, we can plainly see the action..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.