Home Forums General Discussion Forum Rolex Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    arlisec
    Participant

Hello Bob Tascione and the rest of the forum,
      My name is Arlise an I am new to the forum. I am also new to watch repairing. The Gold was scrapped from the inside of my last watch and the jewels removed.
      I now have a Rolex, Oyster Perpetual, Datejust. I need to clean the inside and take a link out the bracelet. I’m open to suggestions on how to get started getting up with equipment, and repair kits.

arutha
      Participant

Hi Arlise and welcome to the board :)
        If you are new to watch repairing I would not start with a Rolex. get yourself some cheap movements and work on those until you feel more comfortable. The only advice I can give you when starting out is to watch Bobs videos and make a list of the tools he uses. You can then have a hunt around to see what is about and compare prices. If you ever see tools you are unsure about you can always ask on here or even if you need to know what tools to do what jobs are needed. Read as many books as you can too.
        Good luck
        Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Arlise and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Paul. I don’t know of any good repair kits. Many tools and equipment are covered in the videos.
          I too would like to steer you away from working on your Rolex until you’ve practiced MANY different repair techniques with larger less complicated watches. I always recommend starting out with a larger more forgiving, and much less expensive pocket watch movement before tackling any smaller wrist watch movement. It takes time and practice to build dexterity, competence and confidence. One should never start out with something they would be uncomfortable losing. My suggestion would be to begin with around a 16 size 11 or more jewel pocket watch movement and practice tearing it down and rebuilding it many times. You can then move on to movements requiring some repairs such as replacing broken balance staffs, mainsprings etc. When you feel confident with this size movment you might then venture into smaller vintage wrist watch movements without auto wind or calendars. With practice you will eventually progress, step by step, into these smaller, more difficult movements. Again while learning it’s very important not to work on something that is of value to you in any way as many mistakes are made while beginning.

I hope this helps Arlise,
          Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.