Home Forums General Discussion Forum Replacing Grandfather Clock Chime Rod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    danacv2
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I have a grandfather clock with an Urgos movement with a broken chime rod. I’m having some issues trying to replace it. The end that screws in is still in the block and is completely stripped. I’m hoping I can get a drill bit and somehow get it out. I tried an extractor but it doesn’t seem hard enough to make a dent in the rod. Any ideas/tips on what I can use to get it out?

Once I do get it out, I’m not really sure what rod to replace it with. The length of the broken rod is a bit over 22 inches. But the only options I have found (time savers) are either 22 or 23 inches and nothing in between. Is there a way to know how long of a rod I need or where I can find other options?

A few notes on the chime rod. It is the longest rod of eight on the music side (not the gong). The clock can play three songs and Westminster is the only one that doesn’t use that rod.

Thanks,
      Dan

willofiam

Hey Dan, try Mile Hi Clock Supply, I saw they had steel chime rods 22 1/2, need to know what threads to get, hope that helps, yes those things can be stubborn, Being careful not to damage the threads I would try to drill it out. William

danacv2
        Participant

22 1/2 seems like it’s probably about right but it looks like it’s sold in a set of 8. I’m assuming that’s all eight chime rods of different notes rather than all of the same. Does anyone know if they are sold individually? I’d rather not have to pay that much just to use one rod especially since I’m not 100% sure that it’s the right length.

Dan

tmac1956
          Participant

danacv2:

One trick is to tap on the rod with a punch and see if its even a little loose. If it is, then you might be able to back it out using a left handed drill.

Just a thought.

Thanks!
            Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.