Home Forums General Discussion Forum Removing crowns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kybill2011
    Participant

Good morning forum. New online course and forum user here. The forum may be seeing a lot of me because I am the type that if I have a question, I ask.My question right now is ” What is the proper way to remove a crown” ? I have watched the watch repair video and unless I am going blind I did not see that part. If you are in the winding or setting mode the crown turns either way, hence the crown will not unscrew. It seems that you need to somehow grab the stem to immobilize it and then unscrew it. Now if someone could tell me the proper way that would be great.

kybill2011
      Participant

I just noticed the time when my questioned was posted. I’m not that much of an early bird, I am on eastern time.
        One point to mention, I have not started to do any repairs yet, Just ordered my tools and supplies( Bob’s course is much more of a bargin than the tools and supplies are) (: and will most likley watch the course again before I do so.

willofiam

Hi kybill2011, welcome to the forum, I wont be able to help much with watch repair as I am concentrating all my efforts on clocks at this time. I understand about the tools and prices and how expensive they can be. If I can suggest, be patient and keep an eye open for used tools in your area, I have come across many in un-obvious places that are 1/4 the price of new. I see Bob has put up some new areas on this site for shop and tooling ideas (thanks Bob what a great idea) alot of guys out there have come up with some money saving practical ideas. I do know by recent experience that some items are worth the extra cash ie tweezers, magnification, pin vises, to name a few and there are other items you can make or get by without, best idea is to keep on askin questions and research. Hopefully we get alot of response to Bobs new sites and we can all benefit. see ya later, William

kybill2011
          Participant

Hi willofiam, thanks for the input. Being a jeweler for 25+ years I have quite a few tools however few are for watch and clock repair. I’m still look for a few of the more costly ones ( used).

Bob Tascione

Welcome the the forum KyBill2011!
              Yes you’re correct about holding the stem to remove the crown. The stem should be removed from the movement (or in the case of a pocket watch where the stem is held in the case pendant the movement should be removed from the case). You can then grab the stem square with a small plier (preferably smooth jaw) and unscrew the crown from the stem.

Thanks Willofiam! I hope the new forums will help us all. I put those up late yesterday. You actually spurred the idea when we talked about your shop photos a while back.

Have a great Sunday!
              Bob

kybill2011
              Participant

Thanks Bob. I guess since I kind of figured that out I just might have the apptitude for this kind of work. With the kind of support I am seeing on this forum it should make my learning process a whole lot easier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.