Home Forums General Discussion Forum Removing clock wheel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Hello everyone,

How do i go about removing this gear? Also this clock is a perivale british clock and i have cleaned and oiled and polished the pinions and it still doesnt run. There is end shake on all gears and it looks like the last person who worked on it replaced the bushings. It looks like some need to be replaced again. Can bushings that are not totally bad be the cause of a clock not running.

arutha
      Participant

Take the wheel and spring washer off of the arbor first and then place the plate on a vice and do the jaws of the vice up to offer as much support as possible around the arbor but without any grip on it as you want it to pass through the jaws. You then hit down on the arbor so it passes through the brass lifting cam. It is a very tight friction fit and the ends of these arbors tend to be quite soft so it is easy to destroy the end on the thread when hitting the arbor. I would put the had nut back on so it is level and then place a hard piece of wood on top before you hit it. Dont go too hard on it, I find fast light taps will be enough.
        In all honesty, if the pivot hole is not that bad then I would just clean around it as best you can and leave it at that. If you do miss hit it and ruin the thread it can be a pain to sort out, not to mention the fact that when you have bushed it you then have to hammer the lifting cam back on. I have made a brass punch to do this which is just a piece of brass rod with a hole deep enough to allow the arbor to move into as it pushes the cam back on the arbor. It is either supported in the vice or in a split stake. Dont forget to do this before you put the plates back together.
        Hope that helps,
        Paul.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

As Paul says be extremely careful when taking these out. If you happen to hit the end incorrectly you can break or bend the threaded end on these. It is a pain in the back side to repair these and unless it is a newer movement finding one is almost impossible. I generally put two screwdriver blades under it on either side. I turn them in opposite directions. Most times this will get it started. I have only had troubles with a couple of Urgos movements. I do this before I disassemble the movement. When I put them back on I assemble the movement and sit the back arbor/plate on a wood block the like Paul I made a brass punch to hammer it back on. The wood block keeps the back plate on a solid surface and protects the pinion coming thru the plate.

I also have one of these tools. http://timesavers.com/i-8950873-cannon-pinion-puller.html
          I got mine from Black Forest Imports but see they are not listing them anymore but Timesavers has them. They are a little pricey but when it saves you from a mishap it will be worth it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.