Home Forums General Discussion Forum Remove Roamer from case

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    demewill
    Participant

I have a Roamer women’s watch that is giving me trouble removing the movement from the case. I did figure out that there is an inner case which I was able to push out the back. I then removed the crystal with bezel ring and the hands, but I still cannot get the movement out of this inner case. I suspect a two piece stem, but I am unable to find a position which will allow the movement to release. I am reluctant to pull too forcefully on the stem in attempt to separate — if only I were sure. The movement is free as I can tip out the side opposite the stem, but this doesn’t help at all.
      If anyone is familiar with this casing arrangement please let me know what the trick is to get the movement out.
      Thanks,
      Dan

david pierce
      Participant

Dan,
        I am not familar with your particular watch but most watches I saw had either a releasing screw of button that must be pushed or turned in order to pull the stem out. Forcing it sounds like a bad idea. Watch some videos on Youtube of the WATCH REPAIR CHANEL and/or BUNN SPECIAL. They usually show the process of removing a stem when they disassemble a watch. The stem release should be a screw or button on the pillar plate near the top and off to one side of the stem. Once the stem is pulled out the movement should come out of the case.
        david

demewill
        Participant

Thanks David,
          I am familiar with the set lever screw, but in this case I don’t have access to the bottom of the movement. If I learned anything from my father it is to never force anything. This is usually good advice concerning anything mechanical.

I have not worked on this watch any more today. The mocement is sitting in a cup, which forms the back of the case. The winding stem tube is pressed into the side of this cup. I am stuck trying to release the stem from the face side of the movement.
          Dan

P.S. Bunn special is quite a character. I guess he doesn’t have video editing available.

randy
          Participant

Dan,
            Can you show us a picture ?
            Any chance that you know the model/calibre?

Randy

demewill
            Participant

Randy,
              Along with some more research on the Internet this evening and the watch configuration,I concluded this must be a split stem. Roamer uses split stems in many of their watches. If I can get some clear photos and then figure out how to attach them,I will post in a few days.

In the process I did discover a nice trick for separating the split stem. I used a pair of round nose orchain nose pliers. As the jaws are tapered, I positioned the jaws between the crown and case at a point where a slight squeeze on the handle put an outward force on the crown causing it to pop out easily without flying across the room.

Thanks for the encouragement.
              Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.