Home Forums General Discussion Forum Remove Majestime 17 Jewel movement from case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I’m a new student and could use a little help. I acquired a pocket watch to practice on. Unfortunately it is missing the crown and stem and I am not sure how to get the movement out of the case. It is a Majestime 17 Jewel. Any suggestions?

oldmantime
      Participant

Hello Hank7421
        I’m not familiar with the Majestime watch but normally one will find 2 case screws holding the movement in the case. You should be able to replace the crown and stem without removing the movement from the case as long as the set lever and other components used to hold the stem in place are in tack. You might possibly be asking how to remove the movement for another reason like cleaning the movement or for assembly practice which is most likely the case here. If you have a camera on hand and can take a picture of the movement in the case this would be helpful. We can also try to identify the movement so you can order a stem and crown for it if you have not already purchased one.
        Regards
        Peter

hank7421
        Participant

Thank you Peter for your quick reply. Yes, I want to try to take it apart to clean it and then replace any broken or missing parts. I took a picture of it including one looking down the hole of the watch stem but I can’t figure out how to download the picture from my camera into my computer. I’ll try asking people I know. Perhaps I can get the picture onto the forum.

hank7421
          Participant

[IMG_0476/0475]
            I am attempting to post the pictures I took of the Majistime pocket watch. If you see it great, if not, oh well, I tried.

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank7491,
              My guess is your Majestime has an ETA 6497 movement or a 6497 clone like the Seagull if open face and a 6498 if in a hunter case. I’m not sure about that though cuz like Peter I’m not familiar with that brand. If it’s a normal open face pocket watch config. then it most likely be as Peter says, held in with a couple of large flat appearing case screws arranged around the perimeter of the movement. Removing the front bezel and then removing the case screws should allow the movement to be slipped out through the front of the case.
              Again as Peter suggests though, a picture would be a big help cuz I could be wrong about the movement type and the removal process. There’s a post at the top of this page on how to post pics on the forum by Chris Mabbott that might be helpful. Also if you look below the text box when writing a post you’ll see a tab that says “Upload attachment”. If you click on that tab and then click on “choose file”you can then navigate to your pic file and after choosing it click ‘Add the file’. At this time don’t worry about adjusting the pic size. If it comes out too big we will re-size it for you. You can tackle re-sizing later but for now learning to get that first pic up here can be challenge enough.

Hope this helps Hank7491,
              Bob

hank7421
              Participant

Hello Bob,
                I really appreciate you getting in on this. I read through the post you mentioned and followed the instructions. The problem is that every time that I put a picture in, it is rejected saying the file is too large. How could one picture be too large? I’ve tried it several times and I get the same results. I seem to be at a stalemate here. Any suggestions?

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Hank7421,
                  I’m actually out of the country right now so getting up here to post is hit and miss for the moment.
                  I think the problem may be the file size in mb rather than the actual physical size of the photo in pixels. I believe I have a limit of 1 mb for pic file sizes. Not to worry though. There are some free online sites where you can upload your image and resize it right online and then download it back to your computer. I’ll include a link to one below. I haven’t tried this one but have used others and they work great. If you choose a size around 640 pixs or so the file size should turn out to be just about perfect. If that doesn’t work then let us know and I’ll up the file size on the forum long enough for you to get your pic up and will resize the image for you.
                  Here’s a link to the site for resizing your image. You can find a bunch more by doing a google search. http://www.picresize.com/
                  Good luck,
                  Bob

hank7421
                  Participant

I resized the photo. I hope this works.

hank7421
                    Participant

Here is another view that might be helpful.

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

How about one of the watch with the back off. A good close up would help if you could get a good clear one.

hank7421
                        Participant

Hi Bernie,
                          That’s my problem, Since this is different from the watch in the video I am unsure how to remove the case. I don’t want to force anything and do even more damage.

hank7421
                          Participant

I’m beginning to think that I made a mistake purchasing this Majestime pocket watch to practice on during my course. So far, no one has even been able tell me how to remove the movement from the case. From the information I have been getting off the web. it seems that this is of Swiss origin. The seller never mentioned that. If anyone in the community knows anything about this brand I certainly would like to hear from you. If not, I guess I will put it aside for now and look for another pocket watch to work on. This time I am going to make sure that It is an American pocket watch. Oh well, you live and learn. Thanks to everybody that tried to help.

oldmantime
                            Participant

Hello Hank7421,
                              I think what Bob and Bernie are asking for is a picture of the movement so they can tell you what screws to remove or turn so you can remove the movement from the case. If you open the back of the watch and take a picture of the movement I am sure we can help you remove the movement. You will need to access the movement either way if you want to remove it from the case or work on it.
                              Regards
                              Peter

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank,
                                First Congrats on getting the pics up here. Perfect size!
                                Yes as Peter and Bernie are saying we would like to see the movement more than anything else. There are many different movements with different case screw configurations. Some use the head of the screw to hold the movement in place while others use tabs or locking cams. It’s also possible that this watch uses a much smaller movement enclosed by a movement spacer to fill and fit the case. If we can see the movement we can most likely help you. Not certain how the back is held on to the case without seeing the back of the case in a pic but my guess is that it’s a snap on back which means you can remove it by gently prying it off with a case knife or dull kitchen or pocket knife blade. Emphasize on the word dull. You don’t want to slip and cut yourself or scratch the watch case. Below is a link to a video from a supply house showing how to remove a snap back on a wrist watch. Should be the same for your pocket watch if it’s a snap back. From what I can tell by your pics the movement does slip out of the front of the case after removing the front bezel and whatever screw or tab system is holding it in place.
                                Also the ETA 6498 (if that’s what’s in your Hunter pocket watch) is a Swiss make but the clones are most likely Chinese. These clones are used in many of the modern day inexpensive pocket watches in order to keep the prices down for the general public. If it’s a clone 6498 it should still be a good movement to practice on.
                                Here’s the link to the video. Also this same supply house may very well have the stem and crown you need after we identify the movement. https://youtu.be/-FNFNxctYAQ

Hope this helps,
                                Bob

stevefitzwater
                                Participant

ok, looking at your picture, this is a snap on case, if you follow the seam on the back of the case above the bow in the picture, you will see a slight indentation, this is your pry point, if you have a case opener, gently work the blade into that indentation, and start to twist the blade. If you do not have a case opener, do like Bob said and use extreme caution, do not use a screw driver, the blade is too narrow and will mar the case.

for the bezel, you should find a similar slight indentation

Hope this helps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.