Home Forums General Discussion Forum Remontoir- Question for Arutha ( Paul)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

You say that you just recently worked on one of these , so I would like to ask yo a few more questions ?
      I’ve noticed that there’s no flange on the canon pinion to grasp for aid of removing .
      Is there a secret to getting this one off ?
      And,..I see that there’s what appears to be a reverse thread on the mainspring ratchet wheel “cap”, and that there are two holes on it.
      Is there a special pin wrench that I need ?

First of this type that I’ve worked on…don’t want to bugger it up from lack of proper knowledge.

Thanks Paul,

Randy

arutha
      Participant

Hi Randy,
        I have just finished one of my own movements which is identical to the one you are doing, the mainspring wheel cap with the two holes on mine was not very tight, I just slipped something into one of the holes and applied little pressure anti-clockwise,(the screw on the wheel next to it has the reverse thread), and it moved but if it is tight a master clockmaker I know suggests fixing two metal pins into a piece of nylon to create a small wrench for these. As for the canon pinion I just pulled mine free, straight up, with a pair of cutters like these
        I put my fingers between the legs of the cutters to stop using too much pressure but the canon pinion on mine was very tight, but pull straight up and it will come free.

randy
        Participant

I’ll build a small pin wrench as you suggest,..as the one I’m working on is very tight.
          I couldn’t budge it with stout tweezers, and fear slipping off and messing it up.

I have a Canon pinion puller,..but maybe I’ll try something a bit more heavy duty like you did.

Thanks very much…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Randy

arutha
          Participant

I have used theis type cutter for a while to remove canon pinions, some of the removing tools just dont work on certain canon pinions and keep it quiet but I have heard Bob uses these too :)
            Did you read that the two hole plate you are trying to un-do undoes in the normal way as in your previous post I think you thought it had a reverse thread?
            Paul.

randy
            Participant

Thanks..I did confuse the thread issue !!!!

I’ll keep quiet about the special tool !

Thanks again Paul….

RB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.