Home Forums General Discussion Forum Regulator movement pictures or blueprints

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bacondaniell
    Participant

I am having a hard time finding blueprints or pictures of 31 day regulator clock and it’s parts . I have been practicing on a Korean regulator clock and it is difficult with the springs and a few parts I am not familiar with .

willofiam

I have photos for you if you still need them. I will have to get into the other computer and find them, I will post them as soon as I can. Do you have any more information from the clock plates?

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I can tell you this that practicing on a Korean, Chinese, etc with those 31 day mainsprings are probably not something I would practice on today if I were just starting. Those big mainsprings take some experience to manipulate and work with. Unless like William who may have pictures of these type movements you will not find blueprints on them at all. I have never in 33 yrs of doing these clocks have found or seen a parts break down for them. There are books out there for Hermle, Urgos, Keininger, etc that has movement lay outs and lay out of parts. Other than that not much out there for others. I do have some older books on Seth Thomas, Waterbury, and a few others that show some parts layouts but they are rare and hard to come by. The Asian stuff your chances of finding any parts lay out pictures are slim and none and slim left town yesterday. 😆 Good luck

bacondaniell
          Participant

The name on the plate is sehwa , the springs are a hassle . Thanks for your response . I am still getting used to navigating the forum and almost did not find the replies .

willofiam

I dont see that I have any photos of that name. I think that if your able to get a photo of your clock on here and let us know what you are specifically looking for then it is possible to help you out. William

bacondaniell
              Participant

willofiam

O.K. first, I would not trust the zip ties with those springs. I use tie wire, What exactly are you looking for? In the first picture I see your escape wheel is upside down, flip it and work your way down thru the train with the rest of the wheels and pinions. The second photo is the fly or governor, when it spins the rubber opens up in the cup to rub against the sides of the cup and slow down or keep from speeding up and running too fast.

bacondaniell
                  Participant

I was not sure about the rubber attachment . If I had it in the right spot or not . Thanks for the input . I did not notice the escape wheel was upside down . Thanks and thanks . This is a pretty exciting hobby . I will not use the ties on these kind of springs again . Only on American steel and it’s like .

willofiam

If I use the zip ties it is on a clock that would have a lighter, weaker spring than even the average American clock movements….I have been bitten by many a mainspring and I highly suggest being over cautious. On most mainsprings I use the “C” type steel clamps or whatever they are supposed to be called, not sure….I use the tie wire alot also, mostly for those Korean movements and for the movements that it is difficult to get the other clamps on. The wire is called tie wire and used for tying rebar together, a roll is cheap and lasts a long time, has many uses in the shop. Also as a side note…make sure that whatever you use is as close to the center of the spring and that the spring is completely unwound when captured, (sticky mainsprings fully unwinding unexpectedly are a bit of a scare and can cause damage as you disassemble).

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Zip ties are a accident waiting to happen. I use nothing less than bailing wire because if that zip ties goes that spring will wreak havoc. I used wire the first year I was in business but now exclusively use C clamps. The rubber attachment on the wheel in the second picture goes in the chrome cup on the right side lower plate of the first picture. The purpose of that is it is actually a fly or governor to control or slow down the chime or strike. Here are the C clamps I use. I have at least 3 of each set because you never know what you will need and how many. I think I have 30 of these C clamps. Pretty cheap insurance when working with mainsprings.

http://timesavers.com/i-24048584-4-piece-set-of-flat-mainspring-clamps.html

http://timesavers.com/i-8946795-flat-mainspring-clamp-2-piece-set.html

http://timesavers.com/i-8948493-mainspring-clamp-4-piece-set.html

bacondaniell
                        Participant

Thank you for the heads up I have switched to wire and clamps . Now I have another problem . There are some guards that go on the mainspring that cause it to flare out . They seem to be causing cluck spring stress causing it to catch . Are these guards necessary ?

willofiam

Yes they are, they manipulate the mainsprings to unwind out and away from the gearing, if they are not on there the mainsprings would unwind into the wheels and pinions causing stoppage. I cannot tell by your photos but sometimes you can remove those before capturing the mainsprings. I have also put them on last when reassembling, though it is possible at one time years ago I could not do that for some reason.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.