Home Forums General Discussion Forum Regulator battery clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    garyk706
    Participant

I have a Westclox battery regulator. The pendulum will not swing. There is some type of battery power
      magnet that should cause it to swing. Any help.

Thanks Gary

ewinrow
      Participant

Hey garyK706, I to have a couple of battery operated clocks with similar issues. To be frank with you, I remove the battery movement and have put mechanical movements in them. You can go on eBay or check with clock companies because they do sell replacement movements but I never had any luck with anything battery operated. I have a Seth Thomas wall clock that is battery operated and I thought I fixed it when I discovered a broken wire within the movement. But even after soldiering another wire on it and tore it down and cleaned the movement, it ran for a few days and now its dead again. So I’m just going to replace the battery movement with a mechanical movement. Mechanical movement meaning anything that runs key winded, weight driven or electrical. I don’t know the extent you want to go with it. But remember, you can always buy probably the exact battery operated movement and just replace it. Call;
        Cas-Ker clock co.
        513-674-0600. Or;
        Merrit’s @ http://www.merrits.com/1-800-345-4101.
        Best of luck to ya and post your end result here on the form, Ed. 8-)

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Generally when the pendulum won’t swing it is either a circuit problem or the battery is weak. If you change the battery and it still doesn’t work then I would order a new movement. You can get them from Timesavers, Ronell, clockkit, etc. pretty cheap. That is one thing I won’t repair is a quartz movement. If the pendulum doesn’t go with a new battery it is replaced or the same with the time keeping or chiming of the movement. Like Ed I have found some with wires broke going to the coil that moves the magnet but it is futile IMHO. I was told that the resistance in ohms is changed on the coil if you try to resolder it therefore does not get the power it needs to move the magnet and swing the pendulum.

ewinrow
          Participant

Bernie, I concur with your synopses. Quartz movements can be a real waste of your time trying to repair them, especially with the movements being so cheep. 8-)

bernie weishapl
            Participant

You are right Ed. They are as cheap as you can get but yet work for a time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.