Home Forums General Discussion Forum random stopping, chime related?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dave@caffray
    Participant

I have a Seth Thomas by Hermel with Westminster chime, A400-000, 5610. I have overhauled, new main spring and replaced some bushings. It runs great for 4 to 6 days and then it starts to stops at some point before or at warning. Very random, stopping on different 1/4 hours but mostly on the hour (12). A restart and it will run for hours, minutes or days before stopping again. what do I look for or adjust. all leavers move freely.movement

vernon
      Participant

Hi Dave

It sounds to me like the movement is still losing power. A search online shows that it’s a Hermle 340-020 and also states that it might have plated pivots. If you bushed all necessary holes and all is in good condition now then polishing the pivots might help (if you haven’t already done so). I use a super fine steel wool to lightly polish the pivots. If you see any pivots that are peeling in the time train then you probably should either replace the wheel or movement altogether. Also check that center hole for wear if you haven’t already done so. Wear in the center holes can result in the problem you’ve described. I’m no expert at all but have had the same issue and found that bushing the center hole completely fixed the problem. One other thing I can think of is a bent or dirt obstructed wheel tooth. Just a guess though.

I would very interested to know what you come up with as a solution Dave.

Vern

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by vernon.
        • This reply was modified 1 year ago by vernon.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.