• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

It looks like you can still buy this stuff. One would think that the NRC would have put a stop to this or at least the USPS would have detectors that might get triggered because of shipping it. It is cool though… deadly cool. :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Watchmakers-VIGOR-Radium-Outfit-722-/191168527528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c82883ca8

Later,
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

There will always be old lots of this stuff knocking about, what we don’t know is if UPS would pick it up or deliver it, it wouldn’t suprise me if somewhere along the line it got found and destroyed.
        Bob told me a while back he got stopped at the Mexican border because he set off one of their radiation detectors because of his old watch hand collections he was carrying. I dont see any need to buy this with the new safer modern stuff, I think you would have to be a bit potty.
        Paul.

tmac1956
        Participant

Paul:

You are correct sir… too many good people have died painting the dials on old clocks and watches in the 1920’s. An interesting side note is that the first guy to import radium into this country did so because he was convinced that it would cure his sister’s cancer. He also thought that radium would revolutionize agricultural production in the US, So, he seeded his tomato garden with the stuff. He died two years later from its effects.

Just a little trivia…
          Later,
          Tom

willofiam

So almost 100 years later and billions of dollars, what are they using now to help people with cancer? just wondering, William

tmac1956
            Participant

All I know is that back in the 1950’s the Buster Brown shoe stores had a fluroscope machine that you used to watch the bones in your feet. We kids loved the thing… so much so that the owners had to run us out of the store. Of course the fact that my older brother tried to push my head into the thing didn’t help either.

I wonder how many rads we got from that device? Hmmm….

Tom

bobpat
              Participant

but how did the tomatoes turn out? :P

tmac1956
                Participant

Bobpat:

I don’t know. But as much radium as there was on the market, I would think that it would have been heavily marketed for that use. You could find it for everything from erectile disfunction, to the treatment of arthritis, to the relief from the vapors, to obesity, to depression.

Next to speed and cocain, it was readily available as a snake oil treatment for just about anything.

Later,
                  Tom

bobpat
                  Participant

thanks for the info Tom.. I think 😆

david pierce
                    Participant

This goes to show just how wrong public opinion can be. Moonshine is obviously the universal cure. I love the stuff and the jars can be used to clean watch parts.
                      david

tmac1956
                      Participant

@david pierce wrote:

This goes to show just how wrong public opinion can be. Moonshine is obviously the universal cure. I love the stuff and the jars can be used to clean watch parts.
                        david

I saw one of the Mountain Monster Hunters guys sedate himself with ‘shine to the point that he was able to pull one of his teeth out with a pair of pliers. Of course that part of the show was probably fake. ;)

Later,
                        Tom

chris mabbott
                        Participant

@willofiam wrote:

So almost 100 years later and billions of dollars, what are they using now to help people with cancer? just wondering, William

Exactly, it’s a business, what do you mean find a cure, why would they want to do that 😆
                          The painkillers have improved but mostly it’s still morphine or morphine based, which eventually kills you anyway, I suppose if ya gotta go you might as well go ripped 😆

What about love apples? That’s what they used to call tomatoes in the early 1800s, they were thought to be poisonous and create all kinds of bad effect, other than death 😆 they were banned in the US until someone ate a basket full in public, and didn’t die 😮
                          It appears that religious art gave them a bad rap as they were seemingly portrayed as the evil apple that eve ate, ya know, from the tree of knowledge, and the last thing a deity, or even a government wants, are knowledgeable people causing trouble by asking…. Why, why, why 😆

tmac1956
                          Participant

Chris:

Apparently, you are not of the Puritan persuasion. Der devil fruit is still verboten.

Later,
                            Tom

david pierce
                            Participant

I’ll drink to that!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.