Home Forums General Discussion Forum Quartz Bulova

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi All,
      This question may be a little different as it doesn’t deal with a mechanical watch however it is leaving me a bit puzzled. A guy brought me a quartz bulova that he said would drain a new battery in about 30 minutes and asked me to take a look. I put a new battery in it and made sure it was in snug and it ran for a day or so and I gave it back. Later he brought it back and said it ran a week or so and quit but later started again. Looked at it again and then it was losing time. I suggested that now for me best thing was just to replace movement if he wanted. Found exact same movement a S. Epson vx84e, I think at esslinger for less than $10.00. They sent new movement, battery and stem. Put new movement, and their battery, a sr621 in last night. As soon as everything was in and running I noticed second hand was moving oddly. Sort of a click-click-stop action. Kept time but I kind of thought that was a low battery signal. Sure enough watch ran about 14 hours and quit. I have just put another new battery in it and now it seems to be running fine with a more normal click, click action. Would like to be able to give him his watch back with no problems but I am puzzled. I don’t generally mess with quartz but he had sentimental attachment and I wanted to help him out. Is it possible that new battery from that was loose in package from esslinger was just weak or is this watch just hexed? As I said I don’t normally deal with quartz watches and have no testing equipment. Did think maybe battery was getting loose and it does seem possible but even in loose watch seems to run fine.
      Thanks,
      Charles

Bob Tascione

Hi Charles,
        That first movement definitely had some problems.
        I’m with you on the second one…sounds like they shipped you an old or bad battery.

Let us know how it turns out,
        Enjoy,
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

Just to add my two cents, I have had New batteries that have proved to be almost dead, its always worth checking with a second battery if the first one plays up. I have had this problem with two clocks in the past, friends had put new batteries in and the clock still wouldnt go so they thought it needed a new movement. I put a new battery in and it ran perfectly. Dont trust new batteries! :)

c.kelly
          Participant

Hi All,
            Does appear as if was just bad battery in new movement I installed. Put new one in Saturday and it ran fine. Gave guy his watch back Monday and checked with him yesterday and he is still happy.
            Thanks,
            Charles K

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.