Home Forums General Discussion Forum Putting a German clock in beat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lad111
    Participant

I am working on a friends German Westminster chime clock and am having trouble getting it in beat. So far the only way is to raise the left side 3/4 of an inch ( nice beat and ran for 3 days without any issues) . The crutch is a brass bar and cannot be bent to make up the angle. Any suggestions?

willofiam

how old do you think the clock is, or possible what is the name of the movement. pics always help, have fun, William

lad111
        Participant

Thanks for asking: it is a Number 69 100FH Westminster PL12cm made in Germany 10/86.

willofiam

take a close look at the verge and how it is attached to the arbor, some of these have a friction type clutch possibly similar to the one pictured, do you think yours is like that?

lad111
            Participant

[img][/img][img][/img][img]<span style=”font-size:85%”>[size=25
              ]<span style=”font-size:25[/size%”>[/size][/size][/img]Clock is not that old being built in Oct. of “86.

willofiam

do you think the verge is able to be moved on the arbor?

Bob Tascione

Hi Lad111,
                  I’m not able to view the pic you put up as I’m only seeing black and my browser isn’t giving me any scroll bars. It’s probably not your pic but rather this laptop acting up. I’ll try restarting it to see what happens. In the mean time though have you tried moving the pendulum over toward the side you lifted? As William mentioned many German movements have friction setting and can be reset by pushing the pendulum crutch to one side or the other. If this is the case you’ll feel a little resistance just before you get to the limit of the swing. This is the point that the anchor will slip and begin adjusting itself.
                  I could be wrong so please don’t force anything. I’ll try to view the pic. after restarting. I have to wait for a file to finish downloading first.

Adios for now,
                  Bob

lad111
                  Participant

Thanks William and Bob.

I tried moving the pendulum and after a few minor adjustments all appears well. Sorry William I did not understand what you were trying to tell me until Bob said to move the pendulum. Its nice to learn something new, and this old dog appreciates it.

willofiam

Hey No problem, sometimes I am not as clear as I might think I am, I am just happy you got it figured out ;) , nothing better than learning something new and accomplishing the task. Have a super day, William

Bob Tascione

That’s great to hear Lad111,
                        Of course I forgot to come back up here and check your pic again. Geeze, I would say that age is creeping up on me but I’ve been forgetful all of my life! Your pic is fine. It was my computer or browser cuz I can scroll now.
                        Adios for now,
                        Bob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.