Home Forums General Discussion Forum Problems with countwheel striking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    martinbevis123
    Participant

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advise on a problem that I am struggling with? I have a Thomas Haller clock with a countwheel striking mechanism but it is not striking correctly. Though everything does look like it is set up ok and it does always go into warning but on closer examination I have found these problems.

Just after the half past four it strikes another single time before it moves onto the five and it doesn’t strike the half past between the 7 and the 8. Here is a picture of the countwheel in question.
      Will be grateful for any help or advise.

Thanks very much

Martin

willofiam

Hi Martin, I am working my way out the door this morning but thought I would “chime” in here quick. My first thought is the count wheel. Looking at your photos it looks like the count wheel is twisted a bit on the square shaft, now I cannot remember how that is set up between the plates but I do remember it is essential that it sits correctly on the shaft and tight so it would not “twist”. These can be a bit touchy. It should lock the strike train at its last strike right next to the edge of the drop off on the count wheel (hope that makes sense) Also the count wheel itself would have had a extended piece that the taper pin would go thru in order to hold the count wheel in that particular position….yours appears to be broken off. I have pictures on my other computer of a Thomas Haller I restored awhile back…When I get back home I will take a look at them, but I need to run…..Have fun, William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

William is right that it should be locked right at the shoulder of the count wheel. If not it can cause problems as you describe. These things can be a bear to get right. Sounds like William has pictures which should help.

martinbevis123
          Participant

Hi William and Bernie

Thanks for getting back to me regarding my problem . I have had a closer look at the countwheel and it doesn’t look twisted to me but I suppose if it only very slightly out of true it could cause this problem. It also seems tight on its arbour. I have taken a very close look at it and every time it always strikes another single time after the half past 4. I look forward to looking at your pictures William so that I can compare these to mine – that’s very kind of you.

Hope you enjoyed your run.

Martin

willofiam

Martin,, though I have a difficult time thinking about being out of the shop I talk myself into the idea of enjoying the break and getting out, once on the road it gives me time to think and it always ends up fun…meeting new people and helping them with their clocks.
              As for the pictures it is a false alarm….the Thomas Haller in my files is a rack and snail…sorry
              Is the extra strike ONLY after the 4:30 strike? Does it go into warning when it misfires? then continue on out of synchronization?
              Just guessing, but if so here is something to try. Remove the countwheel and try a different position on the arbor (1/4 turn) see if that helps, sometimes that is just enough to make a difference.
              If it does not go into warning and just takes off by itself then look closely at the locking pin and locking lever to make sure things are straight and smooth and that the locking is correct, also look at the warning pin to make sure that it is straight and smooth. I would try these things before anything is bent for a adjustment… also take a close look at the count lever to make sure it is not loose or bent. William

martinbevis123
              Participant

Hi William

No problems about the pictures and thanks for the tip. As the warn and everything else seems ok I took the countwheel off and moved it one quarter of a turn anticlockwise. This shifted the problem to the 2 o’clock – it would not strike 2 but would only do one strike at a time round this area. I moved the wheel another quarter turn anticlockwise and this time I does all seem to be striking correctly. I have gone round two cycles of the countwheel and all seems good. It is now back on the test stand so will let you know how it gets on. So thanks very much for your help.

Also took a look at your website – nice workshop. Maybe I will get something like this in the future.

I also have a Waterbury Clock Co. mantel clock that I have recently cleaned and put back together. I thought that I had sorted out the striking but at 1pm today it carried on striking, so back to the bench and study Bob’s videos again. This maybe another post if I get stuck.

Thanks again

Martin

dave booth
                Participant

It has been quite a few years since I worked on one of these, but I seem to recall discovering that the square on the arbor which the count wheel fits is not really square. The count wheel can go on in all four positions, but one of them gives proper locking and warn, and the others do not. You may have to try all four positions before you find the proper one.

martinbevis123
                  Participant

Thanks Dave

Have tried the count wheel in different positions on the arbour and one of the positions seems to work OK but others were throwing up faults. Useful tip to remember.

Martin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.