Home Forums General Discussion Forum Power Loss in Watch Train

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hello Folks! I take movement in paw. I check all the things I have been taught to check before beginning dis-assembly. Balance wheel seems to move freely, the rest of the excapement seems fine. I gently start balance wheel oscillating. It goes for about 5-7 seconds, then stops. I check again, start balance wheel again, and then take sharp piece of peg wood and gently push on center wheel (make it rotate). Balance wheel keeps moving and as i get the pressure even, the movement from the center wheel on out starts looking like a normal running watch. try it 3 times, same result. What have I learned, and what have I yet to learn? thanks all……….b

arutha
      Participant

Wear in the plates/jewels/pivots? Is this a movement you have serviced or is it dirty?

watchthebear
        Participant

Hi All, jewels, pivots, plate look OK under 2X glass. Movement had been cleaned, but not by me. I spun the tip of the pegwood in one of the jewels, looked like there was some dirt or darkened oil. Could be prior owner just “gave it a bath”. Thanks, Paul………take care Folks…………….b

jim1228
          Participant

Hello,
            It sounds like it just needs a proper break down and cleaning. Be sure to pull the main spring out of the barrel. It could possibly be broken or set. In combination with a dirty movement this is common. If you have one, I would recommend using a 5X loupe. You will be surprised what you might find. But as Paul stated, check the obvious as well. :)
            I wish you well,
            Jim

arutha
            Participant

Good advice from Jim,
              you will struggle to see well with a 2x loupe on watch parts, Jim suggests a 5x loupe and he has more watch experience than me, my eyes must be bad as I mostly use a 3x but with very small stuff a 10x.
              Always be wary of people who tell you a watch or clock has been serviced, for some people spraying a clock with WD40 is a service!
              If that watch had been cleaned properly your pegwood should have come out spotless. Just check for obvious signs of dirt in the movement which you will see instantly with a more powerful loupe, this will give a good indication of if the watch has been properly serviced recntly.
              Good luck,
              Paul.

watchthebear
              Participant

Hello All, thanks Jim, and Paul for your advice. I will move foreword along the lines you suggested. take care Folks………………b

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.