Possibly ready:

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Possibly ready:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ralberto2001
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 7
    • Total Posts: 46

Hey everyone! I am still working on Gilbert clock! Last I posted it was under topic mainspring. Well I started a new one because it seems like that one is getting long.

Any way! I got the parts as clean as I could get them! Do you all think I should get a wire buffer on my lathe to them?
    Next question: I noticed that some pivots had been bushed.
    If I have to rebush those do I knock those bushings out and start over,or do I team out the bushings?
    Next Question: the winding arbor bushings, what kind of bushings are those? They look different!
    As far as the parts and plates, should I call that patina! LoL! :D

ralberto2001
    Participant

Hey everyone ignore the picture with the main spring retaining rings in it.
    That was one of the dirty pictures. Some how it got in there.
    Thanks Richard.

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

Any way! I got the parts as clean as I could get them! Do you all think I should get a wire buffer on my lathe to them?

I would say it came out well. I would never use a brass or any other brush on the plates unless you don’t care about the antique value.

Next question: I noticed that some pivots had been bushed.
    If I have to rebush those do I knock those bushings out and start over,or do I team out the bushings?

Next Question: the winding arbor bushings, what kind of bushings are those? They look different!

Most times I just push the old ones out with new ones.

As far as the parts and plates, should I call that patina! LoL! :D

Yes patina is what I call it and head down the road.

chris mabbott
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 119
    • Total Posts: 1525

Richard, I know Bernie is going to laugh at this but maan , I would clean that up like a mirror buddy, it would take me a week though 8-)
    Whereas I wouldn’t use a wire wheel, but rather a brass polish or a compound, then I would use a liquid sealant, I think it’s called curators something or other, which retards the oxidation that is lovingly called patina 😆

Brass was once called…. “Poor mans gold” because a high grade of brass can imitate the look of gold when it’s shiny.
    I perform this magic on brass/gilded pocket watch movements. The nice thing is that after a short time it will have the aged look again. Don’t pay much attention to me though, I have a condition known as shine disorder 😆

ralberto2001
    Participant

Hey Bernie, thanks as usual for the advise!
    I would sure love it to hold it’s antique value for sure
    We’ll on to the next step,I do know that before I start examining the parts
    I have already seen gears with bent arbors, but it will be fun doing this all.
    Oh also, in the bottom picture there is a round pop on plate that
    goes on the front of the clock face and has numbers on it like a clock, what is that called
    and should I buy another because that would be seen on the face of clock?

And Chris that really is funny! I actually had a dream about one day making a clock
    Gears and plates and all out of a mirror :D
    Anyway, thanks everyone, Richard.

gerene
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 16
    • Total Posts: 377

@Ralberto2001 wrote:

Hey Bernie, thanks as usual for the advise!
    I would sure love it to hold it’s antique value for sure
    We’ll on to the next step,I do know that before I start examining the parts
    I have already seen gears with bent arbors, but it will be fun doing this all.
    Oh also, in the bottom picture there is a round pop on plate that
    goes on the front of the clock face and has numbers on it like a clock, what is that called
    and should I buy another because that would be seen on the face of clock?

And Chris that really is funny! I actually had a dream about one day making a clock
    Gears and plates and all out of a mirror :D
    Anyway, thanks everyone, Richard.

I don’t know for sure because I am not familiar with this movement, but if that “pop on” part sits on the arbor for the hour hand it is most probably to set the alarm function. I would not get a new one if it is not broken but just clean it up very well and make it shine :).
    As for the question should all plates etc be shining, I also try to get them to look “new” but that does not add anything to the functioning of the movement, opinions vary on this matter. Maybe for real antiques (like a few hundred years old) it would be a different story, but I do not get those in my humble workshop very often :). Those mostly handmade movements require an in depth knowledge of restauration techniques. For the movements I work on, which are most of the time (semi) mass produced, I am with Chris and like to get them “as new” again. But then I do this as a hobby and do not try to make money with it, so time is not an issue.

Jan

ralberto2001
    Participant

Thank you! Jan for the advise. Richard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
ralberto2001Possibly ready: