Home Forums General Discussion Forum Portable Bench Vise…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

Hi:

I’m looking for a bench vise that is held in place by a t-slotted piece that is bolted to the bench. The vise simply slides into the slot making it portable. Any ideas on who makes these – or – is there a better way to go?

Thanks!

arutha
      Participant

I have not seen a vice with a T-slot but Bergeon make one with a base you can slide the vice on and off of, it has a locking lever.
        http://www.hswalsh.com/Bergeon-Watchmakers-Vice-.aspx?i=HV23&t=221
        The vice I use the most has a g-clamp on the bottom like this one;
        http://www.silversupplies.com/catalog/new_product/vices.shtml although this isnt the same as mine it is the same design.

david pierce
        Participant

I have two “offical” watchmaker vices that I never use. I bought both of them on Ebay auctions for pennies on the dollar. The vice that I actually use, and have found to be the most useful, is a small vice that swivels on the “Z” plane and rotates on the the “X,Y” plane. It is small, strong, completely adjustable and has two opposing sets of jaws that can rotate into place as needed. I bought it from HARBOR FREIGHT for about $25.00.
          david

arutha
          Participant

The only thing I would point out with any budget vices is that there can be quite a difference in quality. If you can go to a tool store and check the vice out this could be a better option. With budget vices the jaws do not always align properly and if you do this via a mail system you could be lucky and get a good one at your first attempt or you could get a bad one. If you can go in to a store and look at one you know exactly what you are getting.
            This can sometimes be an issue with any sort of tooling bought mail order. Bench drills or drill presses are another example, as most of these are now produced in china the quality control is a bit hit and miss, you could check out two or three before you find one that runs true.
            Just something to bear in mind if ordering budget stuff via the internet.
            Paul.
            p.s. garage sales are always worth a look for this kind of stuff, mine came covered in rust from a boot sale but the jaws line up as they should and once the rust was cleaned off they looked great too. Price?….£1 :)

tmac1956
            Participant

@david pierce wrote:

I have two “offical” watchmaker vices that I never use. I bought both of them on Ebay auctions for pennies on the dollar. The vice that I actually use, and have found to be the most useful, is a small vice that swivels on the “Z” plane and rotates on the the “X,Y” plane. It is small, strong, completely adjustable and has two opposing sets of jaws that can rotate into place as needed. I bought it from HARBOR FREIGHT for about $25.00.
              david

That sounds very functional and something I’d like to have. I actually bought a hobby vise like that. Unfortunately, its more like a toy than a tool.
              Harbor has one like that, but it has a vacum base.
              Thanks,
              tmac

david pierce
              Participant

Tmac,
                If there is a HARBOR FREIGHT in your area go check them out and decide if a particular item will meet your needs. Some of their stuff is good and some not so good.
                david

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.