Home Forums General Discussion Forum polisher/burnisher

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bobpat
    Participant

Can someone tell me what is a good pivot polisher/burnisher to get?. I looked at a lot of combo units and individual polisher and burnishers. new or used?? thanks for any info

willofiam

Bobpat, are you referring to a handheld file/burnisher? for clocks? watches? I know Jim1228 bought a new one for clocks from mile high clock supply, hopefully he can let you know how he likes it, but we will have to wake him up :D , buying a new one assures you the file is in new shape compared to taking a chance on a used worn one. the burnisher on a used one can be reworked to a proper surface. They are expensive but I find them very handy. I have a combo style file/burnisher and use it alot, also being one tool I have a 50% less chance of losing one or the other 🙄 I found this one in a pile of stuff I bought and it appeared to have been unused, so if the price is right on a used one it might be worth the chance. William

chris mabbott
        Participant

BP, I use the classic tour de pivoter, man I’m having a memory dump, I can’t think of the bloody name of it 😆
          Ya know, the brass one with the interchangeable whatchamacallits.. comes with a bow, usually..

I hook mine up to a foot controlled motor, works great for me although some prefer the back and forth bow method. Whatever works for you within the recommended parameters is the way to go.

bobpat
          Participant

I have one also, remember you showed me what all the parts were.. What I mean is the pivot file and burnisher for watches..oh yeah,,NICE MILL, is that your work partner on the floor beside the mill?

bobpat
            Participant

handheld file/burnisher for watches, I like the price of used but I hate not knowing what I’am getting

david pierce
              Participant

Chris,
                Are you refering to a Jacot lathe? They seem to range in price (used) from $100.00 to $1200.00 for a Steiner. The biggest issue with the Jacot tools is the lanterns are often shattered or missing due to misuse and neglect. Uncle Larry usually has these for sale at a good price. The Jacot lathes that I am familar with are made for watch pivots and are too small to do clock pivots.
                david

chris mabbott
                Participant

😆 Jacot tool, yes, thanks David for the remote memory boost, I just could not remember that name.

Although I think I grabbed the wrong end of the stick as BobPat is asking about a burnisher and not the tool I thought.. Ooops sorry about the senior moment there BP ;) please ignore me…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.