Home Forums General Discussion Forum Poising a balance wheel…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I understand that when you put a balance wheel on a jeweled poising tool the lighter side will be at the top and the heavy side at the bottom (assuming its out of balance). Additionally, I also know that if it is losing time one should remove material from the heavy balance screws and if it is gaining, then one should add timing washers to the light screws. (assuming one knows these data)

My question is this: once you get the wheel to where you think it’s balanced, how do you know from the poising tool… does it stop in different places evertime you spin it?

Thanks!
      tmac

willofiam

Exactly! using a few hairs from a paintbrush tape them on a length of pegwood, its a light touch to with the hairs to spin it gently, note where you had the heavy side when starting and then test several times as you go. if pivots are not bent and the poising tool surface is clean and level the balance wheel should stop at any point when balanced. do all truing up first and make sure you have a good soulful song on the radio. William

arutha
        Participant

Will has it dead right, make sure if you have the jeweled poising tool the jaws are very clean. Take your time and dont sneeze! :)

willofiam

from what I understand the jeweled poising tool is a benefit because it wont get magnetized but can get chipped and as far as I know there is little you can do about that, the steel jaws are good because you can stone them down over and over for a smooth running surface but can become magnetized, anyway food for thought. P.S. I first misspelled magnetized as nagnetized, I think I have just invented a new word, 50 cents every time you use it but you have to use it in a sentence. William

arutha
            Participant

I think you would need to be careful stoning the jaws down as any slight deviation from perfectly flat will affect the truing process. The jewelled ones only get chipped if you throw them on the floor or drop your fishing tackle on them ;)

willofiam

Paul you make me laugh 😆 , firstly you have the wrong song on!!!!! you may have the throwing tools on floor song on, you need a nice, mellow, heart felt, love song on when balancing balances to put everything into balance 🙄 . Secondly, when are we going fishin? but only after you can bait your own hook. :D William

tmac1956
                Participant

I usually just clean the jeweled jaws with pith wood and then hit ’em with some Rodico. I guess they are pretty clean after that…

tmac

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.