Home Forums General Discussion Forum pocket watch mainspring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    speedmaster
    Participant

Hi from the uk, i’m new here and have bought myself a gold filled pocket watch with a fifteen jewel four adjustments swiss minerva movement, (I have scoured the internet and found this out, well its from before minerva but made by the founding company anyway.) As i was saying, i’ve got this watch and it doesn’t work so started taking it apart not following the videos on here and let the click off without holding the tension and it unwound very fast. 😳 So i followed the video from then on and bagged and tagged every peice i took apart with only a couple of mishaps but all turned out ok. Anyway when i came to take the mainspring out it was broken at one end in a couple of places, now i’m not sure if this is why the watch didn’t work or if it’s because of my earlier mistake? What i do know is i need a new mainspring, so i have to find one but what type? at the inner end of the coil, the bit that has broken off it looks like a hole and at the outer end a hook, well not a hook but the end folds back on itself about five mm long. Sorry if i haven’t explained very well but i am a complete novice hoping to start a new and rewarding hobby. :D Many thanks for any help you can give. Dave.

speedmaster
      Participant

Now i don’t kow which end had the hole in because it looks like both ends might have broken, i have two broken off bits. 😳

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Dave!
          The inner coil would have the hole and the outer end sounds like a normal bridal.
          You may find the following link to Cousins helpful in identifying your spring type. You can also put dimensions into the fields to find a spring that will fit.
          Here’s the link:
          http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/5/649.aspx
          Hope this helps Dave and again Welcome,
          Bob

speedmaster
          Participant

Thanks very much, i was getting confused because at cousins it shows a pic of a spring(with hole) but i take it thats at the other end and they all have a hole at the arbor end. Thanks again for the help and i’ll let you know how i get on. :D

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Dave!
              Yes you’re correct about the hole on the arbor end.
              Let us know if you have any other questions about how to measure the spring, etc.
              Enjoy,
              Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.