Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pocket Watch Bezel Problem…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:
      I recently purchased a very clean old Elgin 16s pocket watch for repair. Unfortunately, it appears that the bezel is cross threaded onto the case – and it is tight. I sprayed some penetrating oil on the joint, but I just can’t seem to get it to budge. Any thoughts?
      Thanks!
      tmac

arutha
      Participant

I know this may sound a bit crazy but use your thumbs each side of the bezel applying as much pressure with them as you can while trying to turn it, then turn it 180 degrees and try again, and then 180 degrees and try again. If that doesnt work the only other thing I can think of is trying to use some from of clamp on it but with some soft chamois leather between the jaws and the bezel, it will be tricky trying to get a hold but once it starts to move you should be ok. Are there any slight dents around the bezel that would indicate it has been dropped? even a small dent to the outside of the threaded area would act like a locking mechanism :(
        Good luck

tmac1956
        Participant

@Arutha wrote:

I know this may sound a bit crazy but use your thumbs each side of the bezel applying as much pressure with them as you can while trying to turn it, then turn it 180 degrees and try again, and then 180 degrees and try again. If that doesnt work the only other thing I can think of is trying to use some from of clamp on it but with some soft chamois leather between the jaws and the bezel, it will be tricky trying to get a hold but once it starts to move you should be ok. Are there any slight dents around the bezel that would indicate it has been dropped? even a small dent to the outside of the threaded area would act like a locking mechanism :(
          Good luck

No dents and almost no wear. However, when I look at the bezel/case joint, I can see a uneven gap in the joint. I’m just guessing that its cross threaded. I got a couple of Elgins like that and its easy to do, but I would think one would have to really force it to get it that tight.

I give your technique a try right now.

Thanks!
          tmac

tmac1956
          Participant

Nope… it’s on there tight.
            tmac

steadypin
            Participant

Hi Tmac, I have had this problem a few times and was able to loosen the bezel by wearing a thick rubber glove on my right hand (being right handed) and gripping the bezel with a pushing and turning (with effort). It has also worked for me on bezels that were so tight that were not cross threaded. The rubber glove gives you a much grip. Good luck, SteadyPin.

tmac1956
              Participant

@SteadyPin wrote:

Hi Tmac, I have had this problem a few times and was able to loosen the bezel by wearing a thick rubber glove on my right hand (being right handed) and gripping the bezel with a pushing and turning (with effort). It has also worked for me on bezels that were so tight that were not cross threaded. The rubber glove gives you a much grip. Good luck, SteadyPin.

I tried the rubber glove tactic, but I just can’t seem to get enough power up to budge it – even with the extra grip from the rubber glove. My next approach was to use a light gage diabetic syringe and needle to inject thin gun oil into the threads working my way all around the seam at the perimeter. I’ll let it sit overnight and try it again in the morning. However, I’m beginning to get a little frantic. Is there some sort of tool I can use on this thing?

I suppose I might try a temperature differential by heating the bezel and simultaneously cooling the case. Maybe the expansion of the bezel coupled with the contraction of the case will be enough to loosen it up. I’m grasping now. :(

Thank you to everyone for your help.
                tmac

arutha
                Participant

It makes you wonder how it was ever done up that tight when it was being cross threaded, there are some animals out there!
                  I will be interested to see if you manage to get this un-done.
                  Good luck.
                  Paul.

jim1228
                  Participant

Hello Tmac,
                    I use one of these to unscrew those stubborn pocket watch cases. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rubber-Vacuum-Pocket-Watch-Hand-Held-Case-Opener-/310544016336?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item484ddda3d0. It’s inexpensive but effective. Good luck :)

I wish you well
                    Jim

tmac1956
                    Participant

@jim1228 wrote:

Hello Tmac,
                      I use one of these to unscrew those stubborn pocket watch cases. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rubber-Vacuum-Pocket-Watch-Hand-Held-Case-Opener-/310544016336?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item484ddda3d0. It’s inexpensive but effective. Good luck :)

I wish you well
                      Jim

Jim:

I ordered the tool. I’m beginning to think that someone stripped the threads to the point that the bezel wouldn’t stay on and just glued in it in place. I hope that’s not the case and I hope your recommended tool works. Otherwise, I’m looking at possibly cutting the bezel off. Is there anyway to get the stem out so that I can drop the movement out of the back? Anyone?

Thanks!
                      tmac

david pierce
                      Participant

Tmac,
                        If the works are pressing against the inside of the bezel it will make it difficult to turn and screw it off. Make sure that the movement is at least loose and not putting pressure on the bezel.
                        david

Bob Tascione

Hi Tmac,
                          I’ve had great success using a plastic paint stirring stick as a handle. I put crazy glue on the bezel and lay the stick on it. Wait a minute and unscrew. You can probably use a wood stick or whatever you want. You then use acetone to remove the glue. I think some nail polish removers have acetone in them too. If the glass is still in the bezel then you may need to bend the stick over it or rig something a little different up. It works well though.

Good luck,
                          Bob

tmac1956
                          Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hi Tmac,
                            I’ve had great success using a plastic paint stirring stick as a handle. I put crazy glue on the bezel and lay the stick on it. Wait a minute and unscrew. You can probably use a wood stick or whatever you want. You then use acetone to remove the glue. I think some nail polish removers have acetone in them too. If the glass is still in the bezel then you may need to bend the stick over it or rig something a little different up. It works well though.

Good luck,
                            Bob

Bob:

Sounds good – I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for the advise!
                            tmac

tmac1956
                            Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tmac,
                              If the works are pressing against the inside of the bezel it will make it difficult to turn and screw it off. Make sure that the movement is at least loose and not putting pressure on the bezel.
                              david

That’s a good idea – I just backed off the case screws.

Thnaks,
                              tmac

tmac1956
                              Participant

All:

I bought the crazy glue and paint sticks to try Bob’s method, but before I had a chance to try that, the little rubber cup tool came in the mail so I gave it a shot.It worked like a charm! Several days ago, I injected pentrating oil into the threads so I’m thinking that helped as well. Anyway, my thanks to everyone for your advise.

tmac

arutha
                                Participant

Well done for getting it off Tmac and well done to Jim for suggesting the tool, I had not seen one of these before!
                                  So what was the problem with the bezel, just tight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.