Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Pivoting Flag for Taig

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Here is a prototype flag I made for the Taig lathe. Basically the same as the ones made for my Boley from Bob’s lathe course but the stem is 1/4″ X 1/4″ steel. Turned the rivots but wasn’t quite as fancy as the countersunk ones I made for the Boley. 😆 Haven’t drilled the holes in the flag yet. I think I may wait to drill those as I need to repivot arbors. Anyway I think this will work and am happy with it. I may do some fine tuning on the next one or two. Since I can’t move this one up and down like in the boley I think I will go with 1/2″ w X 1/8″ flat iron. I think I can put 3 maybe 4 holes in a row just fine.

Well before I sent this I went out and drilled a hole for the first wheel in a antique movement. I countersunk the hole, lined it up using the tailstock and slide it into postion with the wheel mounted. I think it is going to work as well as the ones for the Boley. I am happy. :D

willofiam

Bernie, do you mount this in the cross slide? William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Yes I do William. I just take out the cutter and put this in its place in the tool holder. I will get a picture and post it one here.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Here it is William.

gerene
            Participant

That looks nice Bernie. Thanks. I will definitely make one too.

Jan

david pierce
              Participant

Bernie,
                You certainly didn’t waste any time putting your Taig to work. How do you like the way it performs so far? Did you drill the holes in the steel bar with the Taig? Did it have sufficient power to drill the holes and turn the rivets without too much feathering?
                david

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Thanks all. David it preformed like a dream. Should have did it a long time ago. I drilled the holes with no problems and had no problems turning the rivets. I did turn a steel mainspring arbor and it handled it with no problems. I am happy with it. I have one more project I want to do. On my steady rest I want to put bearings on the ends of each arm instead of letting the arbors run on the brass. Will see how it goes and I need to mill some new brass arms to mount the bearings on. That way if it doesn’t work out I haven’t ruined the ones that came with it. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.