Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pivot Friction Study

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Chris, I got carried away blabbing about SolidWorks and forgot about what you said here:

This gift can be a little misunderstood by those that don’t possess it, fortunately, it was passed on to me genetically 😆

Thanks for the info Bob.. I may have to look in to getting the program…

arutha
      Participant

Beautiful work on the video Bob, to be honest some of it did go over my head but then that is not unusual for me ;)
        Paul.

arutha
        Participant

Beautiful work on the video Bob, to be honest some of it did go over my head but then that is not unusual for me ;)
          Paul.

arutha
          Participant

Paul.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

The reason I lengthen the pivots is because most of them I had come across had at least 2 that had some tunneling. I guess like the guy on another forum you could use a short bushing pushed thru from the inside of the plate using a small ball end mill to cut the oil sink deeper. I tried that on one and just didn’t like it.

Great discussion guys and like Paul a lot of the video was hard for me to wrap my head around. Guess I need to sit down and study it more. I just bought another Junghan Clock and will see if it has any short pivots. If it does I will probably repivot and hang it on the wall to run. See what it is running like in a few years.

Thanks for all the insight, discussion and Bob for the great video. Lots of food for thought for me.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

The reason I lengthen the pivots is because most of them I had come across had at least 2 that had some tunneling. I guess like the guy on another forum you could use a short bushing pushed thru from the inside of the plate using a small ball end mill to cut the oil sink deeper. I tried that on one and just didn’t like it.

Great discussion guys and like Paul a lot of the video was hard for me to wrap my head around. Guess I need to sit down and study it more. I just bought another Junghan Clock and will see if it has any short pivots. If it does I will probably repivot and hang it on the wall to run. See what it is running like in a few years.

Thanks for all the insight, discussion and Bob for the great video. Lots of food for thought for me.

bernie weishapl
                Participant

willofiam

Hey Bob, very well done, impressive.!!! Im with yah Paul….Just turning on my computer take 1/2 a days thinking energy 😆 much more trying to figure out what things to click on for a certain response.

It does make me wonder how anyone in the distant past ever figured out how to make a accurate timepiece. No computers, simulations ect….to figure it all out. How long did that guy sitting in his candle lit shop take to even figure out that brass plates and steel pivots would be the way to go for most clocks. If I think too much about all that stuff my head might explode 😯 William

willofiam

Hey Bob, very well done, impressive.!!! Im with yah Paul….Just turning on my computer take 1/2 a days thinking energy 😆 much more trying to figure out what things to click on for a certain response.

It does make me wonder how anyone in the distant past ever figured out how to make a accurate timepiece. No computers, simulations ect….to figure it all out. How long did that guy sitting in his candle lit shop take to even figure out that brass plates and steel pivots would be the way to go for most clocks. If I think too much about all that stuff my head might explode 😯 William

willofiam

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

LOL William I have often had a clock on my bench and just sat there looking at it wondering how they did all that needs to be done to build it without computers and all this tech stuff. 😆

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

LOL William I have often had a clock on my bench and just sat there looking at it wondering how they did all that needs to be done to build it without computers and all this tech stuff. 😆

bernie weishapl
                            Participant

arutha
                              Participant

They didn’t have telephones back then! if I could have all the time back I have spent answering the telephone or just listening to customers telling me what they think is wrong with their clocks I reckon I would be about 25 again ;)
                                Paul.

arutha
                                Participant

They didn’t have telephones back then! if I could have all the time back I have spent answering the telephone or just listening to customers telling me what they think is wrong with their clocks I reckon I would be about 25 again ;)
                                  Paul.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.