Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pivot drill tool…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

This is a very nice setup. I thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZWZfbxeJw

Thanks!
      Tom

Bob Tascione

Hi Tom,
        This is a cool setup. I remembering watching that video a while back. In fact I think someone may have posted the link on our forum a year or so ago. Not sure though. Anyway looks like it does a great job. His choice of background music fits perfectly!! :D . Gotta love it!

Thanks
        Bob

david pierce
        Participant

Tom,
          You can make one with the machines you have. This would be a great project and a useful tool when you finish it.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

David:

If I ever get good enough to do the machining, then that would be a good project for sure. Say… do you know what type of battery operated motor this guy is using? It doesn’t appear to have a very high RPM. I’ve looked but I’ve not a clue what would be appropriate for such a tool. Most of what I’ve found is for remote control helicopters that spin at incredible rates.

Thanks!
            tm

david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              It is probably a slot car motor. CW Porter (I think that is his name) sells a series of small books about watch repair tools on Ebay using a similar looking motor for his pivoting tool. If I recall it is called a Falcon Slot Car Motor. You can purchase motors like that one on the internet for only a few dollars each including a chuck mounted on the motor shaft.
              To make the item break the project down into small managable steps. Start with a hand sketch, not a cad drawing. There are no difficult machining steps on that device; just straight cuts and simple angles. You can do this.
              david

tmac1956
              Participant

David:

The actual pivot holder looks like it would be difficult for me. I wonder if this guy bought the one he uses on eBay? I see them there and at Uncle Larry’s pretty often – vintage stuff.

Thanks,
                Tom

Bob Tascione

Hi Tom,
                  Yes you’re right about that pivoting tool sometimes being available on ebay and also Uncle Larrys.
                  David that motor sure looks big for a slot car but maybe they’re making much larger scale slot cars now.
                  If you go to http://molon.com/standard_dc_motors.html you may find something like it. They have a wide range of DC motors for different applications. I didn’t know about this company but saw the name on the motor in the video and searched the name online. Looks like a great source but Davids suggestion of searching for one online might be a much better choice when it comes to price.

Enjoy,
                  Bob

tmac1956
                  Participant

Bob:

I should have looked a little closer. I did find this one on eBay that seems to have the same model number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molon-1237-Motor-12-VDC-High-Torque-R-C-and-Train-/130467337842?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1e60759672

Thanks!
                    Tom

Bob Tascione

Tom,
                      My eyes must be deceiving me or I just need more coffee this morning but the motor you linked to does look like a slot car motor and appears to be much smaller than the one in the video. Is it my imagination? lol
                      Looking at the stats the motor on ebay doesn’t appear to be capable of delivering enough torque at 12V and 1.4 amps.
                      I could be completely wrong though, considering gearing or pulley ratio.

Bob

Bob Tascione

Looking at the video again it looks like the pulley ratio is 1:1 or close to that. Also when you look at the size of the motor compared to the size of the operators hand the motor looks pretty big..unless he has very small hands. :)
                        Just my observation.

Bob

Bob Tascione

Tom,
                          I checked around the net and found that the ‘slot car’ hobby has had a huge resurgence and larger scale cars appear to be a big thing now. David is probably right about that being a slot care motor. Below is a pic of a ‘normal scale’ slot car motor for comparison that I’m going to be using for an Arduino project (non horological) that I’m on right now.
                          If you buy that motor I would be curious to see a comparison shot.

Bob

david pierce
                          Participant

Tom, Bob,
                            Another option for an extremely powerful small motor would be to buy a small portable air compressor from an auto parts store and remove the motor. I think the compressors sell for around $15.00.
                            Tom,
                            You can make a prototype of the machine out of gray PVC plastic. It saws and machines well and is extremely inexpensive. Once you feel you have mastered the process, switch to brass. In order to make the tool easier to make, design the pivot polisher around your available equipment and skill level instead of designing the tooling to make the pivot polisher.
                            david

demewill
                            Participant

Try surplus center for low cost motors, etc…
                              Dan

https://www.surpluscenter.com/

chris mabbott
                              Participant

Guys, just for an extra idea, I use my small pivot machine hooked up to my lathe motor via foot controller. I have a 6mm lathe, mounted to a vice, the motor/vice are mounted to a wooden board, I simply unscrew the vice, remove the lathe and add…. whatever, jacot tool, pivot machine etc..
                                The vice allows multi-function and quick change..

For a drive belt I use an elastic band, works great …

tmac1956
                                Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Guys, just for an extra idea, I use my small pivot machine hooked up to my lathe motor via foot controller. I have a 6mm lathe, mounted to a vice, the motor/vice are mounted to a wooden board, I simply unscrew the vice, remove the lathe and add…. whatever, jacot tool, pivot machine etc..
                                  The vice allows multi-function and quick change..

For a drive belt I use an elastic band, works great …

Good idea. Can we see your rig? I seem to remember that you bought one of those vintage pivot drill devices…

Thanks!
                                  Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.