Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pinion replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    brassy
    Participant

Hi, I have a pocket watch the centre wheel pinion has a tooth missing. Is it possible to press of the pinion and replace it??The shaft is also very rough but I can turn a new one on my lathe. I just don’t know how or if the pinion can be removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Dave

Bob Tascione

Hi Dave,
        It would be possible but you would need to make sure the pinion is actually pressed onto the arbor. Most are either cut as part of the arbor or are safety pinions which are threaded onto a threaded seat on the arbor. This allows the pinion to unscrew itself from the arbor preventing pinion and or gear train damage in the event of a sudden reverse of power as a result of mainspring breakage etc.
        What make of watch is it?
        Bob

brassy
        Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.The watch is a Nameton, 21 jewel, 2pos, the plate is 27mm. (aprox). I have found another swiss movement that I am attempting to use the centre wheel out of. Its not the same, but I have cut the pinion shoulder down to the correct diameter, but the pinion itself is a little long, so I guess I will have to trim the leaves to get a little more clearance for the gear. I tried to remove the old pinion but to no avail. I guess what I need is a piece of pinion wire and start from scratch. I was fortunate to have practised with my lathe this winter while down south so I was able to use the lathe and my cut is right on !!!! Thanks for that !!! I have been really enjoying your course but a bunch more “tips” would sure be useful!! Any thought on where to get pinion wire ???? Any other thoughts or suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Dave

arutha
          Participant

Hi Dave,
            Pinion wire for watches is not easy to find these days. This company can make stuff to order but I would imagine its expensive :(
            http://www.rushgears.com/
            They have a PDF but I am not sure if it is saying the pinion wire is 24 leaves?
            http://www.rushgears.com/catpages/pinionwire.pdf
            I think your best bet is to look for a donor movement, if that cant be done your only other option is to look at getting set up for cutting your own.
            Sorry I cant be more help.
            Paul.

Bob Tascione

Happy to hear you’re enjoying the course Dave!

I don’t know of anybody selling drawn or machined pinion wire with the cycloidal tooth form used in your watch. As far as I know the pinion wire that is available out there is all involute. I could be wrong so If anyone knows of a source I would love to know about it.
              I agree with Paul that the best chance would be to find another movement with the same center wheel/arbor and swap it out. Next thing would be to farm it out to someone to cut a new one for you unless you are set up to cut one.

Wish I had better news for you,
              Bob

arutha
              Participant

I have found this guy who cuts pinions just not sure it is watch pinions, might be worth dropping him a email?
                http://www.timepieceshoppe.com/parts.html
                (I have no connection to this person, just found him by googling :) )
                If you ever get stuck for a clock pinion, now that I can do :)
                Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
                Paul.

brassy
                Participant

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it !! I guess I will have to start a seach for a donor !!!! Anyway it is sure nice to have your input, and I assure you I do sincerly appreciate it… Hope I can be of help some time…

Dave

arutha
                  Participant

No problem Dave,
                    I found things quite hard when I started out, not many people wanted to share their skills so it was learning from books and the internet for me. Then I bought Bobs course and it all made sense :)
                    This is a great forum and Bob is always willing to help which is great as the man is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to horology :)
                    Please dont be affraid to ask questions, its the only way to learn :)
                    Paul.

byjwr1
                    Participant

Hello Bob and Arutha,
                      Thanks for your tips! I was able to take care of the problem of removing the cannon pinion
                      by using a few drops of penetrating oil and allowing it a little time to penetrate. I then
                      used two very small screw drivers and formed them into micro pry bars. After the oil did
                      its job of freeing the cannon pinion, I used the pry bars to lift and remove the
                      cannon pinion. It worked very well. Also, I found that the main spring was broken.
                      It appears the safety pinion did its job of protecting the movement. Thanks again!

BYJWR1

arutha
                      Participant

That is great news!
                        Well done for getting the problem sorted.
                        I had some steel rods with nuts fused on with rust from a 400 day clock case yesterday. I didnt want to do any damage forcing them off with pliers etc so I left them to soak in tea for 20 minutes. I could then undo them with my fingers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.