Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pin Gauges

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bobpat
    Participant

Want to pick up a pin gauge set. What would be a good starting range as far as size, smallest to largest for use in watches and clocks?. And what do they mean when they say you can buy sets plus or minus?

tmac1956
      Participant

Bobpat:

Here’s the sets that I bought.
        Enco: Plus/minus http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=327-2878&PMPXNO=22508007
        Ebay Plus/minus http://www.ebay.com/itm/350727698242?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I went a little smaller by using some guitar strings (down to .007)

I hope this helps.
        Thanks,
        Tom

mclark3617
        Participant

Plus or minus means there big or small from the mean. A .250 pin wont slip into a .250 hole.. It would be a press fit,,so you would need a .250 minus pin to fit into a .250 hole.
          The hole would have to be about .2505 for an on size .250 pin to slip into it.

bobpat
          Participant

so. when it says go-no go, it’s dead on?..And if you were buying a set, wouldn’t it be metric? everything in watches is sold in metric.

mclark3617
            Participant

They can be metric or english you can alway convert, i use english cause i understand it better, then convert to metric

Go no go means just that,,two guages,,one goes in one doesnt. A .250 holes..a ,250 minus pin will go but a .251 pin wont.. A go nogo is usually only for production testing,,if you were reaming a bunch of holes and the .251 pin went in, the nogo pin, then you know the hole reamed oversize.

bobpat
              Participant

thanks,, it’s becoming clear, not sure I want to convert every time I use them,I’ll wait til someone convinces me which to get.. LOL. that’s the set I was looking to get Tom. the Vermont set . Thanks for your info

mclark3617
                Participant

If your not use to either go with the metric. Im just use to the standard sizes,,

bobpat
                  Participant

always great to talk to someone who knows instead of me guessing. Should I get plus or minus?

mclark3617
                    Participant

You should get minus guages

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.