Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pery watch movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

Hi everyone,
      I wanted to show you my newest project. I am very nervous about taking apart this watch because of it’s small size. It is only 15mm or 6.5 lignes diameter. I have never worked on anything this small. The winding gear clicker does not spring back so I had to wind it a little and then push the clicker back into position. After a few winds I gave the balance wheel a push and it started working but then stopped right away. If any of you have worked on a similar movement and have a trick or two or some good advise I would appreciate it. I know that a lot of our training comes from jumping in there and trying new things, but if you guys feel that I should not attempt this repair at this time, feel free to advise me of such…Hank

arutha
      Participant

Hi Hank,
        there is nothing wrong in trying to service a watch movement of this size unless it is of any value, sentimental or otherwise. If so I would suggest you buy a similar sized movent to practice on first. It will certainly show up any weaknesses in your watch servicing technique.
        Regards,
        Paul.

hank7421
        Participant

Thank you Paul, that certainly was good advise. Since this is a watch of value to a friend of mine, I gave it some serious thought. This movement is so small that I could not even find a movement holder to fit it. When I tried to take the watch apart by holding it in my hand a couple of pieces fell out and I had no idea how to put them back. Eventually after tinkering with it for hours trying them in different positions I was able to figure out how to put the pieces back in correctly. I came to the conclusion that this particular movement was too small for my skill set at this time and so I returned the watch. It’s a good thing to know our limitations and expand into unfamiliar territory slowly and cautiously. Especially when working on someone else’s watch….Hank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.