Home Forums General Discussion Forum Paper or Porcelain? Enamel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Fellas,

Just looking for some help, if you can, with identifying the dial I have on my Hamilton 992b Railway Special, currently being rebuilt. Chris mentioned that these were paper dials with few exceptions, but the problem is, I’ve never seen a paper dial that I know of. Don’t really know how to identify one. Unless it was super glued and perfectly done, I am leaning toward painted/enamel/porcelain or something like that, but paper does not seem like paper at all. If it were paper, would it just come right out and, like actually be a paper dial that wasn’t glued? Well, enough of the speculation because I just do not know…thus the four pictures.

Thanks guys,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
      Participant

Tim,

paper dials were usually a cheap method of replacing an original, damaged, enamel dial. The decal, was pressed on to a metal, brass or aluminum disk. Some had numbers printed, some had numbers painted. There are also various other types of dials, metal base with a painted face, painted numerals and also those with design etched into the metal base. also enamel. I think that some of the painted ones used a matt type fiber paint which also can’t be cleaned. Your’s could be this type too.

Whichever type it is, yours is a replacement dial from the 1930’s upwards. so I would not attempt to clean it.

I don’t collect watches past 1925 but I’ve had plenty of this type of dials on past watches… Here is an example of a paper dial that was stored in a humid place.
        Also photos of original, correct, 992b double sunk enamel dials from 1930 something up to the 40’s.

There could be any number of reasons for your watch having this dial, but if you do a search, you should find many examples of the correct pairing. It pays to do a little research before you buy, the chances of finding a correct enamel dial are pretty slim as most have been acquired. Still, the one present is not in bad shape so you’re lucky..

randy
        Participant

Tim,
          Chris is spot-on in regards to the different dial types.

I did some Ebay searching for “Hamilton 16s dial “
          I found dials ranging from $40-160+

Some are original,..some are newer, but metal.

IF you are interested in replacing your dial…you may find something here ??

chris mabbott
          Participant

Randy I just had a look, interesting to see the amount of new dials available.
            You’re right about an original, $160 + , yoowzers

randy
            Participant

I too was a bit surprised to see that many available Chris.
              Yep..you have to have deep pockets for some of these.

Makes me wonder how many really sell at that price.

maitai11
              Participant

I can tell you this much, they won’t be selling one to me…

Thanks for all that background Chris. There’s some good stuff there!

Best,

Tim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.