Home Forums General Discussion Forum Pallet Warmer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

I am trying to replace a pallet stone in the lever of a #12 Waltham Pocket Watch. I purchased a Pallet Warmer from Daves Watch Tools. Does anyone know the correct way to position the lever and stones in the warmer?

Steve

wingman
      Participant

I may have had success without knowing how to use the warmer. I clamped the lever with stones facing towards warming plates using the spring loaded clamp. In this position the lever wasn’t level but I was able to fit the stones using small pieces of flake shellac. I warmed the shellac until it flowed over and around the stones. After I chipped away the excess shellac by placing the lever on the staking tool anvil and held it in position with a very small hollow punch. I was able to chip away the excess shellac with a small screw driver. The stones were not aligned at this point, so I placed the lever back on the pallet warmer with the staff between the two warming plates. The lever was level a this point though not clamped. I was able to warm the shellac sufficiently enough to move the stones into the correct position with a sharpened pegwood. And now to assemble the watch and see if the lever works! I could still use some advice on how to use the pallet warmer clamps?

Steve

willofiam

Hey Steve, good job on setting the pallet jewels, just to make sure, warm the tool with a small piece of shellac to the side to see when it gets hot enough, as soon as the piece to the side starts to melt take the tool away from the flame, as you would have a small flake on top of each jewel to start with the heat will soon transfer to the pallet and melt the shellac over the jewels and onto the fork, you do not want the shellac to overheat. I personally have not used the type of warmer that you have. I assume the gauged levers are to help alignment of the pallet jewels. I would have to read up on it but the entrance and exit pallet locking faces have a particular angle and I am not sure if that would be different for different watches / pocket watches, or not. It also appears that your tool has a screw on the side that can open it up, to me that would change the references on the gauge according to a specific angle, not sure if that makes sense, when I read it I get confused 🙄 , anyway, it also looks like you can use it by setting your gauge levers to lay flat on the impulse face of the jewels, maybe as a reference if you had to adjust??? then again I am just guessing, well, have fun, hope we can get a expert in here to help us out >>> William

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve and William,
            These are nice warmers. From your description you may be putting the pallet in backwards Steve. I may be reading it wrong though. In any case if it works then go for it!
            The stones would normally rest against the adjustable arms. The space or slot down the middle allows for separate heating of the pallets in case you just want to adjust one stone. William’s right on about the adjustment. You can adjust the stones and use the scale at the other end of the arms for reference.

Enjoy!
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.