Home Forums General Discussion Forum pain for marking the wheels of a clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    seanjohn40
    Participant

Could any one tell me what i should or could get for marking the wheels of the clock when i am taking them a part . So that i could number them when i am putting them back together again. Only on hear a few days . But would like to start taking a clock apart and try to put it back together again. Eighter a pain or some marker . Thanks .
      Sean

willofiam

Hey seanJohn40, I dont like to mark the wheels, I have had clocks come in with #s scratched on them, alignment marks ect..
        (not necessary).. even if you use a marker, when you clean them you will loose the markings. When I first started I sketched detailed drawings also keeping the different trains separate as I cleaned (still do). The best thing I have used is the camera, taking photos before and while I take it apart (being careful not to spill the wheels upon dis-assembly so there are no questions, you can get good detailed photos from all directions). I have stored all the photos of movements I have worked on as a record for reference and for my customers. So, This way you wont alter the originality of the movement, after some time working on clock or watch movements you will begin to understand what goes where but even then the photos can come in handy once in a while. spend much time studying the movement before dis-assembly, how it functions with the strike or chime sequences ect…it will save you a bunch of time, oh and most important… Have fun, William

arutha
        Participant

William has it spot on, if you do get lost then just remember to start with the barrels, those teeth have to mesh with a pinion which has a wheel on the same arbor which has to mesh with the next pinion. I used to take photos too but once you have done a few it all falls into place. the main thing is to make a note of where any levers go, they can usually only go in one place but then I have had clocks come in with the levers fitted the wrong way round 😯
          Paul.

bernie weishapl
          Participant

When I first started so I wouldn’t get them all messed up I made some like square safety pins about 6″ long and 1 1/4″ wide that clipped that the top. I put the wheels on this clip as I took the off. Then when cleaned and ready to reassemble I put them back it the clock in reverse. When I started there was no cameras but if I run across a clock I have not seen I do use pictures today. Another thing I do now is use a piece of styrofoam about 6″ X 12″ and poke the wheels down in it as I take them out. I keep the trains seperate.

stevefitzwater
            Participant

When I first starting working on pocket watches, I placed a CamCorder above my work table, using the remote zoom, I was able to get a good image (Kind of like what Bob did in his videos), and simply recorded the dis-assembly of the watch, if there was any intricate works I would take still pics with my camera from all sides to get a better perspective for re-assembly.

With cameras in cell phones, that is the direction I would go.

I will try that Styrofoam idea, might try that in the future if I am working on an unfamiliar item.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.