Home Forums General Discussion Forum Otto Frie is pretty honest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robweil
    Participant

I am learning about movements, buying them, etc. So I went to Otto Frei’s website and found this caveat (I used color to add emphasis):

If you are not a watch repairperson you have no rights or sane reason for purchasing a movement. Before rocket science was a science watches were considered man’s finest most delicate machines to date. Watch movements should not be handled by anyone who is not prepared to repair it or pay a trained professional to find and fix the problem. Those who have never worked with watches before and think they can install a movement in a watch case, without any training or professional help, well you better be prepared to buy 3 or 4 movements or at least pay some one to repair the first one you broke.

Basically, he’s saying, “Rob, you have no right to even look at this page”. I think he’s right! I think I’ll just ship all my broken watches to Bob and have him fix them for me.

zach
      Participant

What you can do to gain a vast amount of knowledge with next to no risk. Is to purchase a group of mechanical watches that are broken or just cheap qaulity you can find item lots like these on the internet for very cheap. This along with books and bobs course is how ive learned what I know. But dont let anyone tell you that you shouldnt be fiddeling around with watch movements when you dont know what you are doing. Because this is how you learn. I broke probably about 10 or 12 watches before I even figured out how to disassemble them and clean/oil them correctly. So you should save your higher end watches you are afraid to work on until you are confident you can do so (unless in need of immediate repair). I have a Waltham Vangaurd 23j rail road pocket watch it is the prized piece in my collection and was handed down 3 generations from my great grand father who was a watchmaker himself. I finally got up the confidence to dis assemble the movement a few days ago. So just put in a little time and effort and you will be repairing your own watches in no time. :mrgreen:

les458
        Participant

I agree 100% with Zach, the man below solved the problem of Longtitude at sea with his
          invention, according to Otto Frie he should never have touched one, Les

John Harrison was born in Foulby, near Wakefield in West Yorkshire, the first of five children in his family. His father worked as a carpenter at the nearby Nostell Priory estate. The house where he was born bears a blue plaque.

Around 1700, the family moved to the North Lincolnshire village of Barrow upon Humber. Following his father’s trade as a carpenter, Harrison built and repaired clocks in his spare time. Legend has it that at the age of six while in bed with smallpox he was given a watch to amuse himself, spending hours listening to it and studying its moving parts.

He also had a fascination for music, eventually becoming choirmaster for Barrow parish church.[3

silverbackmg
          Participant

Well come on Paul Harvey. What is the Rest of the story? I was just getting into it. Thanks, Ric

les458
            Participant

Hello Ric, I tried to send you the short cut to the story but cant get it on, If you GOOGLE JOHN HARRISON the story will come up and its very interesting, Les

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.