Home Forums General Discussion Forum Orient NP(558) push button day not changing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jpewslgl
    Participant

I purchased an Orient 21J with movement 558 (NP). It has a push-button day changer that does not work. I previously took apart an Orient 1942 movement and a Seiko 7009a that are similar to this movement, however, I’m at a loss as to what is going on.

The push button activates a small (of course, everything is small) lever that turns a disc that should move the day wheel. However, upon inspection, the disc does not connect to anything else. I can’t imagine anything would be missing from the watch, but I don’t have any other explaination. On both of the other movements, I was able to activate the day / date wheels as I was re-assembling them.

Additionally, the crown moves out 1 notch, though the manuals that I have found indicate it should move out 2 notches.

I have found a couple of parts lists/diagrams of other movements, but not this particluar one. Does anyone know of a link or a book that would have a decent diagram to show what should be happening?

I will post pictures of the movement tomorrow as I have left my camera at the shop.

Thanks for the help!
      Jimmy

Bob Tascione

Hi Jimmy,
        I’ve been away for a few days and see that your post has been here for awhile.
        Yes the button should activate the day jumper which meshes with day star attached to the underside of the day dial disk. In your watch it might have 14 pointed teeth rather than 7. Lifting the day dial disk would most likely reveal the problem. I don’t have one of these movements to look at so pics would be helpful. Also you’re right about the crown needing to pull out 2 clicks rather than just one. Whatever is stopping the stem from moving out (or pushing in) all the way may also be affecting the day setting. I can’t visualize how this may be happening but it does seem strange that both situations are occurring simultaneously. Suppose it could also just be coincidence. If the crown pulls out to the time setting position you might try turning the hands clockwise to see if the day of week jumps forward every 24 hrs. If it doesn’t work then you’ll know that the problem is likely under the disk.
        With pictures I may be able to help further.
        Hope this helps Jimmy,
        Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.