Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks organizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

I bought the bergeon assortment of brass bushings and recently came up with a easier way to find the one I need. on the original box the numbers designating sizes are not in order but the sizes are, when using the assortment box they came in you have to search to find the right area. I figure why not put them in number order and use the chart to find the size I need (hard to see in the pics but they are in number order), if that makes sense it saves time, then the question becomes, can we really SAVE time 🙄 I also use these cheap plastic bin boxes and as I take apart a movement each section goes into its own box, ie, time train in one, strike train in another, rack and snail parts in another, and so on, this too SAVES time :D

William

arutha
      Participant

Wow William, that is organized! I just poke around with the pivot until it fits a bush, then go back 1 size if its a sloppy fit, then check the plate thickness. 😳

I too use old yoghurt tubs to keep screws with the clock parts so that I dont mix them up when putting it back together, your idea would come in very useful when doing those 3 train movements as you can keep each train seperate.
        You have a tidy mind William, you must teach me :)

arutha
        Participant

I am guessing you dont like my idea?
          :D

willofiam

Hey Paul, it does take time to do some of these things so I force myself to do so because I know that it is frustrating looking for stuff when I am concentrating on the job at hand. In the end it is time saving and I can stay more focused. William

arutha
            Participant

I bought a job lot of bushes and just didnt have time to sit there and sorth them all out. I too have the Bergeon set that you bought so once this box and a few others are used up I will start using those. At the end of the day time is money but it doesnt take me long to find a bush that fits in this box, I seem to spend longer looking for the correct broach to make the hole the correct size.

Bob Tascione

Hey William,
                Do you remember where you bought those boxes with containers from? I have some that I purchased a while back but they don’t look like they are anywhere near the quality of yours.
                Thanks,
                Bob

willofiam

Hi Bob sorry took so long to respond, computer issues, now to me THATS disturbing my mind 😡 … I bought these from timesavers but I didnt like the way they had it set up, had cardboard divider for each row (you can see where they were), kind of mess right Paul???? 😯 so I sized a 1/2″ peice of wood and drilled all the holes with a fostner bit, now they all stay put!!!!!! the little aluminum cans in there are not much to speak of either. the tops would come right off so I dented each one a little with a fingernail. adios 8-) (probably didnt say that right) William

arutha
                  Participant

If I ever did anything that tidy I know Claire(my better half) would think something was seriously wrong. ;)

willofiam

Soooooooooo there is hope for you!!!!!!!! ;) Maybe Paul, with a lot of help and much prayer, we could straighten you out some. you know that your appearance can change from searching for bushings too long 😥 (good or bad I am not saying) and thats not to say anything about eyesight :ugeek: or mental health. 😯 William

arutha
                      Participant

I am way past helping now William :( If I am not making life a little interesting for myself things get dull, the personal satisfaction from pulling the correct size bush from that box is great and I wouldnt have it any other way. In fact I might tip all my boxes of bushes into a small tin and really give myself a challenge.

digitaltripper
                        Participant

Hi,
                          My name is Jim AKA Digitaltripper on here and on NAWCC and in general all over the internet, instructables.com, flicker, etc. First thank you Bob for this form and the video courses. Very awesome. My question relates to organization in that I purchased some bushings in bulk, a sort of selection but all packaged together. I acquired a 100 bushing assortment, 10 of each size. I did sort them into containers. I can use my caliper and get the outside diameter and height but how do I measure the inside diameter? Based on outside diameter, I can measure my reamer bits and get an idea of what reamer to use. I guess I could just try the bushing on the pivot and go from there. I want to get the bushing gauge but just starting out so I’ll get it after awhile…I think in the future, I’ll buy bushing sets that are labeled so that I can use them with ease as it were rather than buy loose bushings that I have to fiddle with to use…

Jim

arutha
                          Participant

Hi Jim,
                            with my mixed pox, I just have a poke about with the pivot until it fits or almost goes in. Then I just check to make sure it is deep enough for the plate.
                            Obviously having those Bergeon assortments saves time as you have all the dimensions on the box but where is the fun in that?
                            Next time you are on e-bay or at a watch/clock mart keep an eye out for the yellow boxes of bergeon assortments, used boxes do come up from time to time, a new full box is quite expensive but does pay for itself in the long run. You can buy single packs and then just empty them out into the slot with corresponding sizes, if you end up with some that have different dimensions you can then start a neat collection of small tins like Williams to label and put them in.
                            Paul :)

willofiam

Hi Jim, I had also bought a bunch of bushings in a box thinking I would save some money, The trick for me was when starting out I wanted to find out what sizes I would use the most and just order those, It was so confusing to me in what to get……I finally bought the Bergeon bushing assortment for clocks and have gone from there. I think it cost $125.00 or something like that but was worth it to me, every once in awhile I will need that odd one. now I keep a list of what I use and when I get low I order that particular size in a larger quantity and my supply is kind of taking care of itself so to speak. For the cost of a bushing compared to what a well running clock for the family or repair job pay, it is minimal. I remember getting pretty frustrated searching for the right bushing as Paul does, and wasting a bunch of time ;) . I suppose I will dig thru those someday when I get bored or maybe send them to Paul?????? William

arutha
                              Participant

All bushings greatfuly received :) I tell you what William, I will swap your loose bushings for some cable ties :)

willofiam

Heres another idea for you Paul :ugeek: , when unmarked it takes 4.375 seconds to find the item I need, after I put the labels on it took me 6.917 seconds, 🙄 not good, NOW with the actual item on the front of the box it ONLY takes me 2.314 seconds :D , now if I look for something 500 times a day, well, you do the math….. have fun, William

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.