Home Forums General Discussion Forum Open face movement into a Hunting case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hank7421
    Participant

I have a Pocket Watch full Hunter case and I would like to purchase a beautiful movement but it is an OF movement. Will I be able to insert the OF movement into the Hunter case?

Bob Tascione

Hi Hank,
        Yes you can ‘usually’ put either an American OF movement into a Hunter-case or a Hunter-Movement into an open-face American case. There are some exceptions such as when dealing with Howard movements and or cases. etc.

One thing to mention here though is that not having them in their intended cases normally devalues the piece as they are looked at as a ‘married’ non-original combo even though I believe if desired, they could be ordered with this config. when purchased back in the day.

You are most likely already aware but for those reading this that may not be one other important thing to note is that with open-face watches the winding stem is at the 12 o-clock mark on the dial whereas with the Hunter the winding stem is shifted 90 degrees clockwise from the 12 o-clock dial mark. So with the HC the 12 o-clock mark on the dial is at the top, the winding stem is at 3 o-clock and the second hand is at the 6 o-clock mark. The train design is actually different from the open-face movement resulting in a shift of 90 degree counterclockwise of the 4th wheel which carries the second hand. I normally hold a hunter-case watch in my hand (right hand) so that the winding stem is at 3 o-clock and the lid of the watch swings open horizontally whereas when an open-face movement is installed in the hunter-case the case would be turned in the hand counter-clockwise 90 degrees so that the stem (and 12 o-clock mark on the dial) is now at the top (up) and the lid swings out and down vertically. Not a big deal really but does feel a bit strange and a little less secure in the hand, at least to me.

Hope this helps Hank and my explanation isn’t too confusing.

Bob

hank7421
        Participant

Thanks Bob, that was very helpful indeed. I have proceeded to order the movement.

Bob Tascione

You’re welcome Hank,
            I had addressed your original question about inserting the movement into the HC. ie. the actual “fit” of the movement to the standard cases sold for these movements in America. Example would be 16s movement can most often be inserted into 16 size cases made by different companies and so on.
            I was assuming a few things from your original post.
            1. That you’ve determined that the movement and case are both American and similar era.
            2. That you’ve determined that the movement setting mechanism is one that will match and function in the HC. you have on hand, ie. pendant set, lever set, Key wind etc.

Good luck and take care for now,
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.