Home Forums General Discussion Forum One Dip equivalent…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

After a little research I’ve found what is claimed to be a chemical equivalent to One Dip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trichloroethylene-Reagent-ACS-1000ml-Composite-Bottle-/121596218908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4fb30e1c

I’m not sure it it’s that much cheaper, but I thought I ask if anyone has any ideas about it.

Thanks!
      Tom

chris mabbott
      Participant

Me no know Tom, but the name implies toxicity 😯

tmac1956
        Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Me no know Tom, but the name implies toxicity 😯

Chris:

Yep…. I’d be willing to bet that One Dip is probably pretty toxic as well. We probably shouldn’t be breathing the stuff regardless.

Later,
          Tom

david pierce
          Participant

Trichloroethylene is a chlorinated hydrocarbon industrial solvent (C2HCL3). It is indeed nasty and has been linked to various health problems including kidney and liver problems, cancer, tumors, congenital heart defects and Parkinson’s disease. It is probably the same stuff as ONE DIP which would then be equally nasty.
            david

tmac1956
            Participant

All:

Now the question is… do we pay more for the illnesses that David mentioned or do we pay less? ;)

Later,
              Tom

arutha
              Participant

How do we know that this isnt what one dip is? I posted about this a while back – http://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=528, it used to be sold as brake and clutch cleaner. I still use the new formula brake and clutch cleaner on hairsprings, I tested some on glass and it leaves no reidue and only cost around £15 for 5ltrs.
                Paul.

tmac1956
                Participant

Paul:

It probably is the same stuff but for we in the US the brake cleaner seems to be limited to only aerosol. This is the first stuff I’ve found that we can get in liquid form.

Thanks,
                  Tom

willofiam

From what I understand Trichloroethylene is one dip. Tom I am not sure if you miss spelled it or if your looking up Trichloroethyle and there is a difference……
                    there is also a product called “dip away” for sale in the horological realm, a bit cheaper.

@tmac1956 wrote:

It probably is the same stuff but for we in the US the brake cleaner seems to be limited to only aerosol

I can buy brake cleaner in 1-5 gallons from Napa auto parts store, just have to ask them and they can order it in.

Dont know if Trichloroethylene “gets old” or not…….the cost of a jar of one dip, even if a little more than something else, is irrelevant to me as I still have a 1/2 full 3 year old small jar of it, but then again I am not a mass production watch shop. William

tmac1956
                    Participant

Chris:

The link is for Trichloroethylene… it just truncates the link in the post after so many characters.

Tom

willofiam

Oh….o.k. that makes sense, I didnt see that Tom, thank you. William

maitai11
                        Participant

I wonder if that’s the same thing as the TCE in A Civil Action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc3u34vXUWc

GREAT movie, by the way…

Best,

Tim :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.