Home Forums General Discussion Forum Oil Stone paste…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

After communicating with a supplier in Europe (the shipping on this product is astronomical) they told me that I could simply buy the abrasive and mix it up myself with some oil/grease.

So, I have ordered some Silicon Carbide in 600 grit for this purpose. Can anyone recommend the oil or light grease with which to mix up the paste? They weren’t forth comming with the mixture.

Thanks!
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        According to H.B. Fried: “To prepare these powders for use, a drop of fine oil is placed upon a clean glass or steel surface. Upon this oiled spot is placed a scoop of these powders about 1/4 inch in diameter. The powders and oil are mixed thoroughly with a steel spatula.”
        This should be a good starting point.
        david

achipo
        Participant

You can just use watch oil.

tmac1956
          Participant

Thanks everyone. That’s about what I thought too.

Later,
            Tom

tmac1956
            Participant

All:

I just thought I would post the results. The watch oil work fine. The paste has a surprising texture/feel to it. I built a spatula using an old mainspring for the application process. Clearly, it souldn’t be used on pivots – too bad though as it would work pretty well if you could get it all off. ;)

Thanks!
              Tom

achipo
              Participant

Tom,
                Sounds like you’ve got it figured out, but I came across this diamontine set this morning on eBay and thought you might be interested.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151126362573&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

tmac1956
                Participant

ACHiPo:

THanks – I check it out!

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.