Home Forums General Discussion Forum Normal Train Movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hello Fella’s,

Quick question: If I have the escape wheel, 3rd wheel, 2nd wheel, and centerwheel installed with their respective bridges, along with the mainspring barrel underneath, should I be able to manually move the mainspring barrel with a fingernail to see if the train is operating correctly, or are the forces/gear ratios/etc. too great to do that?

Before I screwed everything down, I applied gentle pressure to the main bridge (false bridge already installed), and the wheels underneath, and gently moved the mainspring barrel – everything was fine. It’s when I screwed it down when I started having problems.

I’m just wondering because it seems as though I have a hang-up somewhere between the center and 3rd wheel. I’m thinking that perhaps there could be a gear meshing problem, or something that would cause a binding condition…I appreciate the help, I don’t want to proceed with a bind like that. All pivots are in good shape!

Best,

Tim

tukat44
      Participant

Did you examine the teeth of the center wheel? Is one of the arbors bent? is thee a blockage in one of the jewels? Are you absolutely certain the pivots are all in their jewels? if there is no problem, first I would not use a finger but rather a peg wood or tweezers point or something else where I had gentle control because they should move freely all the way through, barrel, second wheel, third wheel, fourth wheel, escape wheel. could be problem with the pinion engaging with the second wheel. pinions must be gunk free after cleaning. I would remove the barrel with the mainspring and make sure the rest of the train moves freely, also fourth wheel and escape wheel if I suspected the center wheel and third wheel binding, and tighten that plate with only those two for starters. could very well be a problem there, but without seeing it I can not diagnose. Good luck and let me know what you find

tukat44
        Participant

Did you examine the teeth of the center wheel? Is one of the arbors bent? is thee a blockage in one of the jewels? Are you absolutely certain the pivots are all in their jewels? if there is no problem, first I would not use a finger but rather a peg wood or tweezers point or something else where I had gentle control because they should move freely all the way through, barrel, second wheel, third wheel, fourth wheel, escape wheel. could be problem with the pinion engaging with the second wheel. pinions must be gunk free after cleaning. I would remove the barrel with the mainspring and make sure the rest of the train moves freely, also fourth wheel and escape wheel if I suspected the center wheel and third wheel binding, and tighten that plate with only those two for starters. could very well be a problem there, but without seeing it I can not diagnose. Good luck and let me know what you find

tukat44
          Participant

maitai11
            Participant

Great, thanks Bro…

Now I got homework…:)

maitai11
              Participant

Great, thanks Bro…

maitai11
                Participant

Great, thanks Bro…

maitai11
                  Participant

I swapped out the jewels in the false bridge (holding the escape wheel and 4th wheel), and everything was resolved. It is such a beautiful thing to see how wonderfully precise these watches are :)

Best,

Tim

P.S. Special shout-out to my brother Joe, who not only responded to my post, but also stayed with me and held my hand via Yahoo Messenger – while he put dinner off. He waited and was patient while I swapped jewels and tried various things, in order to isolate the problem and resolve it. Thanks brother Joe, I luv ya lots (YESSSS, Joe, we can say that here:) ) Tim :)

maitai11
                    Participant

I swapped out the jewels in the false bridge (holding the escape wheel and 4th wheel), and everything was resolved. It is such a beautiful thing to see how wonderfully precise these watches are :)

Best,

Tim

P.S. Special shout-out to my brother Joe, who not only responded to my post, but also stayed with me and held my hand via Yahoo Messenger – while he put dinner off. He waited and was patient while I swapped jewels and tried various things, in order to isolate the problem and resolve it. Thanks brother Joe, I luv ya lots (YESSSS, Joe, we can say that here:) ) Tim :)

maitai11
                      Participant

Best,

Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.