Home Forums General Discussion Forum Non moving hour hand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lad111
    Participant

Ok I finally got an E.N.Welch clock running except the hour hand will not move. The minute hand keeps time but the hour hand…….How tight (or loose) should the hour hand be on the spindle, or is this a different problem?

arutha
      Participant

If you have a friction fit centre wheel and it is not tight enough it will allow the clock to run while not moving the hands. If the minute hand is moving and the hour hand is not then it can only be down to the hour hand being very loose on the pipe and the pipe is just turning inside the hour hand collet, unless the hour hand collet is turning inside the hour hand?
        Is it a weight driven or spring driven clock?
        Paul.

willofiam

everything Paul askes but I would add, does the hour hand move when you manually move the minute hand? hour hand should be snug on the pipe but not touching the dial. William

lad111
          Participant

Thanks guys, it is spring driven and the hour hand somehow (most likely by me) became detached from the friction barrel (?). After re-attaching the barrel with the hour hand a miracle occurred. It worked…..bring on the next project!

willofiam

congrats, see how that works, hair pulling experiences increase knowledge and character, miracles do happen, cant wait for the next project. Have a great day, William

tmac1956
              Participant

@willofiam wrote:

congrats, see how that works, hair pulling experiences increase knowledge and character, miracles do happen, cant wait for the next project. Have a great day, William

Hmmm… That explains why I am bald.
                tmac

arutha
                Participant

My arms are bald too. 😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.