• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

MAAAN I’m a machine lately, since I got my ass moving instead of procrastinating, or as an old teacher used to say, standing in the corner picking your nose 😆

Today, this fine young day, my victim, by chance of being next in line, is this South Bend 211. It has very pretty demaskeening which I really haven’t bothered to capture too much here, I’ll save that photo for…… Laa taa :D

This one is missing its regulator spring, as oh so many are, shame… My question is… What is a good material to fabricate another? I was actually thinking of using an old knife blade, which I have a few of, as they are tool steel with a certain amount of springability, is that a word, it should make a nice spring…Ja or nien? David where for art thou 8-)

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Great looking watch Chris. I don’t see why that knife wouldn’t work. Be interesting to see.

tmac1956
        Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

MAAAN I’m a machine lately, since I got my ass moving instead of procrastinating, or as an old teacher used to say, standing in the corner picking your nose 😆

Today, this fine young day, my victim, by chance of being next in line, is this South Bend 211. It has very pretty demaskeening which I really haven’t bothered to capture too much here, I’ll save that photo for…… Laa taa :D

This one is missing its regulator spring, as oh so many are, shame… My question is… What is a good material to fabricate another? I was actually thinking of using an old knife blade, which I have a few of, as they are tool steel with a certain amount of springability, is that a word, it should make a nice spring…Ja or nien? David where for art thou 8-)

What about spring steel shim stock? You can get in in just about any thickness you need…
          Tom

david pierce
          Participant

Chris,
            Personally I would not make the part from a “knife blade”. A knife is designed to do different things than a spring plus the material in knives covers a very large range of steels. You have no idea what your knife is made out of. Tom was partially correct with his suggestion, but blue tempered spring steel is extremely hard and would be difficult to shape with the tools you have. Blue tempered spring steel is actually SAE 1095 carbon steel and can be purchased from a metal supply. It is machinable in the “soft” state and then can be hardened and tempered to RC 47-51 (spring temper). Another steel used a lot for springs is type 302 stainless steel. Stainless is generally more difficult to machine than carbon steel so I would stick to the SAE 1095 carbon steel.
            david

chris mabbott
            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys, as always, much appreciated…

David, I checked on the euro equivalent of 1095 and its something like F4115 which I can’t get here 😮

I was thinking of using the broken knife blades I have because the are, according to their stamp designation, SAE 1095..
              Probably hard to machine but maybe if I draw the material back?

david pierce
              Participant

Chris,
                Spain certainly has machine shops and manufacturing industries. How do they purchase the material they need? I know that McMaster-Carr catalogs exist in every engineering office in every part of the world. I even saw them on the shelves in factories in the middle east. You can contact them through the internet and I am certain they can supply you with almost anything you need. If not, it looks like the knife blade is going to have to do.
                david

gerene
                Participant

David,

most American companies on the internet will ship to Europe. However, shipping, handling and custom duties make it very expensive most of the time. 👿

Jan

david pierce
                  Participant

Jan,
                    MSC has a page of 1095 blue tempered spring steel in rolls and sheet. Take a look and estimate what the extra charges would be. I am curious about the shipping and custom duty charges.
                    david

chris mabbott
                    Participant

Just to add to what Jan mentions…

The world mafias have organized now, the online market is rapidly being controlled more and more as the customs of most countries hold items for long periods of time to determine every last drop of copper that can be squeezed out of you..

I am currently waiting for a watch that arrived in customs on the 3rd of February, it took 4 days from Australia to Spain, it has been in Madrid for over 1 month. Even though I paid almost the same value as the watch in tax, import, handling fees and of course, the famous fee for their time to find out how much to charge me 👿

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.