• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mahlon
    Participant

First off let me say Bob, that I am enjoying this course very much. For 35 years I have been buying antique clocks for resail.
      I have been in the antique restoration business all this time, so finding clocks as not been a problem. I must have been pretty lucky, because I have always been able to get them to run, but I always wanted to know how to really fix one. Now, after seeing a few videos, I feel sooo stupid. At 56 I hope I still have enough lest in me to learn this trade. I am going crazy trying to buy tools to do this, and after finding this course and now this forum, I feel that I have gotten the best tools I will ever have.
      Mahlon

willofiam

howdy Mahlon, welcome, great to have you here, Sorry Bob but I just have to jump in front of you, (you know me) 🙄 , I would like to say along with Mahlon that YES I too have found the coarse and the forum to be the most valuable tools also, Mahlon, I use the forum as a learning tool, I find that trying to help someone else out I end up accidentally learning something myself…., you know we will all, or probably should be learning something new all our lives, like a good friend said to me once, William, remember how dumb we were back in high school, yup I said, and using that as my base, if I learn one new word a year and nothing else I am doubling my knowledge, well now I am almost 50 and know 33 words toadal, I am almost to the point of not being able to stuff anymore in my little brain, and now with the forum and Bob teachings I have smoke coming out of my ears!!!! Thank you for your honesty and your desire to @mahlon wrote:

know how to really fix one

, and do not feel stupid, Thats my job, I have seen many a clock that have been butchered yet somehow do run, well sorta ( word learned at 29 :geek: ), It is a art form to refurbish a 100 year old clock properly without damaging its authenticity (and that word I learned at age 41 :geek: ), OOOOHHH :? and you started buying tools :D , how fun is that!!!!! I myself have become addicted to horological tool buying, I think someone here called me crazy 😯 or something, It was probably Arutha, but he is pretty smart and usually hits the nail on the head. thanks for your enthusiasm (word learned at 35 :geek: ) please use your new tools, I am positive they will be of great value. William p.s. Bob I think we need a larger selection of smilies.

mahlon
        Participant

By the way William, i took my first movement apart the other day. You really do need a let down key. My thumb will be sore for a week.

willofiam

OUCH!!!! 😯 yes and even then being very careful, I have about a 1/4 lip that extends above the surface of my bench that helps hold the movement from spinning while I use the letdown tool. I like the yellow handled one with the different chucks, I just sold my last one. You can make a key holder with a 1″ diameter wood dowel, drill a hole and cut a slot in one end to accept the key, round off the other end. I had also used a hose clamp just to make sure the key wouldnt slip out. Another of my favorite tools is the used up roll of 2″ tape, basically the cardboard tube left, I use it all the time for laying a movement on while assembling/disassembling. Hope the thumb heals up 😳 , mainsprings are something to be very careful with, I have a knob on one of my knuckles from careless use of the mainspring winder, broke the winders handle with my knuckle. William

arutha
            Participant

I made the mistake of trying to let a movement down with its own key once, it slipped from my fingers and span around knocking the top of my knuckle clean off. Mainsprings are not to be meseed with and if starting again knowning what I know now the first tool I would buy would be a set of let down keys.
              This is such a great hobby/business to be in and having gone through life with nothing holding my interest for longer than a few months this is amazing, there is so much to learn and the pleasure you get from getting that old wreck of a clock working is fantastic.
              We are all here to help and never be affraid to ask, we all remember what it was like when starting out :)
              Paul.

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Mahlon and very happy to hear the course has been helpful!
                56 is a great age to start out at. My guess is that it’s about the average age for most course and forum members.

Enjoy and hope to see you up here often,

Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.