Home Forums General Discussion Forum Newbie working on a Sessions movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gr8dane
    Participant

Hi Bob,

My first take-down. I have taken your course and enjoyed the content.

Can you tell me what these ‘wires’ or deformed springs are – pics attached. No self-respecting clock maker would build a movement with these springs – so I am wondering what they are? A bad repair job?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jay

Bob Tascione

Hi Jay and good to hear you’ve enjoyed the course!
        You’re correct on all counts. Those are lever return springs and yes that’s a pretty sloppy job. They will probably work the way they are but it would be a very good idea to make some new ones. These messes are quite common. You’ll find different guages of spring wire available in steel and brass at most material houses. TimeSavers.com has an assortment for less than $10. It’s good to have a supply of it on hand. I’ll bet they sell a lot of wire!
        Enjoy Jay,
        Bob

http://www.tascione.com

gr8dane
        Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I am off to Timesavers for Brass Spring wire.

Best regards,

Jay

wingman
          Participant

Hello Jay

I’m a fellow Newbie. I recently overhauled an Sessions mantle clock. I encountered the same problem with the wire springs. Mine were nicely made however 100 years old and a bit brittle. I bought the 26 ga. brass spring wire from Merritt’s. One thing to consider is that you don’t want the spring too tightly wound or the levers will bounce. The one I made strikes the count wheel a bit hard but it works OK.

Steve

gr8dane
            Participant

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the wire from TimeSavers. They responded that the item was back-ordered. So still waiting.

Right now, I have removed the old wire and trying to get the movement to function. Am having difficulty. To make a long story short, I went from completely assembled to only having the time side and movement works. So only half the ‘innards’ are in place. The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be a way to get the wheels to turn in the correct direction. The escape wheel will turn OK backwards but not forward. Seems to be locked up. Yesterday aft. I removed the mainspring and now just have the time and movement wheels in place, without the verge. I can move the wheels now although if I apply pressure to T1, there is quite a lot of force required to get action. Less force is required with T2 – which makes sense.

I thought maybe I had the mainspring on backwards but pre-disassembly pictures plus similar pictures indicate I have the assembly correct. Today, I am going to grease the mainspring. See if that might be the problem.

Best regards,

Jay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.