Home Forums General Discussion Forum Newbie saying hi, and question about case polishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mrflower
    Participant

Hi all,

Just starting in my interest in watches and still gathering info, tools etc.

What tools, compounds, buffers would you recommend for case polishing, gold and steel?

Is the a guide anywhere, youtube etc?

Have been looking at Dremmel, but not sure, any pointers will be gratefully received.

Regards and thanks.

digitaltripper
      Participant

Hi and welcome to the forums. Some of the links I list are from Amazon, not because I particularly like Amazon, but rather it is fast to look stuff up. I am sure that there are other suppliers locally (jewelery supply or jeweler) or on-line that will have what you need.

When polishing a watch case MAKE SURE THE CRYSTAL IS REMOVED OR THAT YOU WILL NOT HIT IT with the wheel as you can cause damage to the crystal in some cases.

What I have learned is that using a dremel with mini stitched buffing wheels like these http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Polishing-Buffing-Wheels-Mandrel/dp/B000OVPGYA/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_z works great. You might want to use leather gloves to hold the work. I use the green compound ZAM http://www.amazon.com/Zam-Buffing-Compound-4-Ounce/dp/B003CMMD3K to buff silverode / silver cases. It works great for gold and steel as well. Please keep in mind that you need to use ONE WHEEL PER COMPOUND !! Never mix compounds!!

The next compound you need is Crystal Bright http://www.etsy.com/listing/49507342/crystal-bright-watch-face-polish for doing watch crystals. It will not hurt your unpolished or polished cases. Again ONE compound per wheel / felt.

Next, make yourself some polishing sticks!! Using 527 or barge cement, glue onto your stick some 1200 grit sandpaper on one end and a piece of felt from your local craft/fabric house on the other end. You can then use the sandpaper to polish/remove high spots from the case and then polish with the felt end charged with some ZAM or crystal bright or red rouge, white rouge etc.

This is what works for me. I hope this helps !!

Jim AKA Digitaltripper

david pierce
        Participant

Tripper,
          Steffan Pahlow has numerous videos on every aspect of watchmaking avaiable for free on Youtube. He also put a series together about casemaking. Check it out.
          david

digitaltripper
          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Tripper,
            Steffan Pahlow has numerous videos on every aspect of watchmaking avaiable for free on Youtube. He also put a series together about casemaking. Check it out.
            david

I’m not worthy !!….hehehe Yes I watched the one about making / replacing of a Glashütter balance staff !! I too will be that good someday !! Oh yes I will….

Jim

mrflower
            Participant

thanks guys for the comprehenisve replys, absolutely what I wanted – making me feel at home.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.