Home Forums General Discussion Forum New member with lever set movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

One thing I would like to know about the hairspring. I have taken off another and put it back on a wristwatch staff and was wondering if there was a trick or preferred way to put stud into hole on balance cock. I have tried it by using tweezers to actually aim it toward the hole. When I do that tweezer tips and stud gets in my way to point I can no longer see hole. I’ve had best luck looking through hole and trying to aim stud throught it from the back side. Either way seems to take me a long time. Of course I am a little shakey as until a month or so ago I had never even thought about touching a hairspring. By the way I checked the Gruen this morning and it was about 3 minutes fast but I looked at the back again and saw that it was regulated a few degrees toward the fast side. I moved regulator back to about neutral at about ten this morning and as of now at 10:50 tonight it is keeping time with the watch I am wearing. Any advice about hairspring would be appreciated.

Bob Tascione

Congratulations on the Gruen c_kelly!
        Replacing hairsprings can bit tricky at first.
        I usually use a tweezer and tiny brass pin. Laying the balance cock down on the bench and holding the balance with the tweezer, position it so that the hairspring falls between the index pins with the stud directly over the hole. You can then guide and push the stud in place with the pin in your other hand. The pin is small enough not to obstruct your view. I also use a pin when I put the balance into the movement and then place the balance cock over the balance (which is the way I usually do it). If you line it up correctly you can tap the stud with the pin until it begins to work itself into the hole. You can then use the tweezers to squeeze and set its depth into the hole. If you do it this way be very careful NOT to allow the balance to fall over after the hairspring is between the index pins as this will twist and bend the hairspring.
        Hope this helps,
        Bob

c.kelly
        Participant

Thanks for tip. I’ll give it a try later this week. I’m on vacation and am ordering parts to finish up another watch today. Hopefully they will get here by Thursday or Friday.
          Thanks,
          C Kelly

c.kelly
          Participant

Hi,
            Tried the tip with the hairspring this morning. Put balance cock on an elevated platform on my table so I could get close. Found that if I held balance cock with rodico to the platform that it did not move around plus the green color helped me see small hole, Worked like a charm. Thanks Bob.

Charles K

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.