Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Member Need Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jdross99
    Participant

I am a new member so here is a few questions.
      1. How do you remove the crown. Does the watch need to be in the setting mode before removing the movement from the case. I don’t want to brake anything. The course was great!
      2. I have purchased a lathe. It is marked ELSON 3629. I assume that is the maker and SN. Does anyone know anything about this manufactor? I could not find anything on Google. After a good cleaning it seems to be in fine shape. Old oil makes very good glue. The only problem is that about 1/3 of the tool rest is broken off on the rt. side. Are the rests ever available without buying the whole assembly?
      3. The lathe only came with one collet, size 16. What sizes should I have to work on American watches?

tokei
      Participant

Hi jdross99,

Not an expert here but I’ll try.
        First off you talking pocket or wrist watch?
        If pocket, I’ve removed the crown by removing the movement and then gripping the stem with pliers or hand vise.
        Then just unscrew.

Hope that helps. If completely wrong, I appologize.

jdross99
        Participant

Thanks I suspected that but I wanted verification.

Bob Tascione

Hi jdross99,

I’m not familiar with that lathe beyond what little I’ve found online about it. It appears to be a WW short collet lathe from what I’ve read. Again, I knew nothing about it before today and still know just about nothing.

For working with pocket watches I would say a decent beginning collet size range would be #6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and a number 50. You’ll find that many accessories that are available out there are made to fit the #50 collet. Of course you’ll find that other sizes will occasionally be needed but that should give you a good start. You can fill in the in between and additional sizes as you go. You might want to measure the collet shank diameter and make sure you purchase collets with the same diameter.

As for the T-rest you may want to try eBay and also Odyssy Auctions at http://www.odysseytelevision.com/c817243/watchmakers-lathe–2i.html. Might get lucky up there.

Good Luck!

Bob

jdross99
            Participant

Thanks
              After I made the initial post, I found two tool posts and six collets on ebay. Got them all for $15.50.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.