Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Member intro

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sbonder
    Participant

Hi all, Scott here. Just joined and started reading the articles. With regard to watches, I have been collecting on an off for 10 years or so. Currently wearing an Omega 15,000 Gauss and a Glashutte Original Seventies. In terms of tinkering, etc I was a hobbyist woodworker for years and made many rocking horses, toy boxes, etc with a strong focus on hand tools (including some turning). My wife demanded a garage be designated for a car (nuts, I know) so I had to downsize. Been building and flying RC airplanes for several years. The pic below is of my son standing near a scaled out SE5a.

I am now very interested in clock and watch making. I have a 100″ wingspan Corsair to finish up (second pic is of the fuselage of that project). I am also somewhat inclined to make a mechanical wooden geared clock as a first horological related project to help the transition. In the meantime, as is my habit, I am fixating on learning as much as I can about the mechanics of watches and clocks and the tools (I am a total tool hound). Currently reading Daniels’ Watchmaking and these forums. Also browsing the various tool manufacturers. Shereline has thus far caught my attention. I have a personal bias against Ebay, so the stuff there is essentially off limits for me.

Anyway, look forward to participating and thanks in advance for the help.

maitai11
      Participant

Hi Scott –

Welcome aboard! You’ve got some interesting things going on there. I’d say that with your skillset, you’ll do fine when it comes to watch and clockmaking. I’m a beginner myself. I’ve acquired somewhere around 10 pocket watches (bit by the bug, as they say), and am slowly building up my workshop – which, at this point in time, is my dinner table. It does grow, it seems daily, though – and there’s that other addiction – tools – that guys will tell you can be quite addicting as well.

You’ve got some lofty goals there, and I have no doubt you’ll attain them. Just knowing you have George Daniels’ book shows me you’re at least serious in getting to know the craft. DeCarle and Fried are also excellent authors.

Take care, and here’s to a great and prosperous 2015.’

Best,

Tim

arutha
        Participant

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum.
          Ebay can be a pain at times but for some of those hard to find watchmaker tools it can help a lot. If you rule it out completely you have to wait for the used tool dealers to come up with the goods and sometimes that can mean a long wait. I appreciate you might not like it but some times it does get you out of trouble when looking for certain parts or tools.
          Have fun and we are only too happy to help if you need any. Love the aircraft :)
          Paul.

sbonder
          Participant

Hmm, good point on the tools. I cannot let long standing personal bias stand in the way of tool acquisiton. ;)

chris mabbott
            Participant

Hey Scott, welcome to the madness 😆

I agree with Paul, fleabay is a tool, use it when needed.. Apart from that, polish up your card, get your better half a part time job to help fund the addiction and prepare to have a whale of a good time 😆

Using a garage to park cars in?? Preposterous 😮

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Welcome Scott. I agree with the others that ebay can be a tool. I have bought a lot of tools there. Join the madness with the rest of us. 😆

tmac1956
                Participant

Scott:

Welcome – you’ve come to a veritable fount of knowledge.

Enjoy the ride!
                  Tom

maitai11
                  Participant

Scott,

I second the motion!

Scott, whatever axe you have to grind with eBay, I think it would be equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot by not using it. True, many call it “ePay” and other funny things, but the bottom line is there are very good watches and tools available there, as well as deals!

My two cents, brother.

Best,

Tim :)

sbonder
                    Participant

Thanks, guess I will overcome my dislike of ebay. Guess bearing a grudge over bad deals from when it started is silly. Of course, that was back when I assumed the internet was a fad and not long after I was sure digital tape would win out over CD.
                      Ah well. Thanks. Rethinking the wooden clock just so I can jump straight into metal. Hmm.

stevefitzwater
                      Participant

Welcome Scott, these forums are full of answers and nuggets of knowledge!

Yeah fleabay, scambay, or what ever term you choose is a good source for tools, or even projects, just do your homework before buying.

namonllor1953
                        Participant

Hi Scott and welcome aboard.
                          There are many other places where to purchase tools at a reasonable price.
                          Do a search on Google and you’ll see what I mean.
                          Best of luck and enjoy the experience.

Bob Tascione

Welcome Scott!

willofiam

Hey Scott, welcome to the forum, I too had been really involved with the RC planes yet I never built one from scratch, my nickname was “crash”…..dont ask….William

sbonder
                              Participant

Flying them I find a stressful for much the same reason. I don’t always crash, but when I do it is pretty spectacular.

stevefitzwater
                                Participant

@sbonder wrote:

Flying them I find a stressful for much the same reason. I don’t always crash, but when I do it is pretty spectacular.

Yeah, my son like to make it a competition on how spectactular, so I sold everything and bought RC Cars, specifically 10th scale dirt, then added pavement racing cars and carpet racing cars.. talk about expensive hobbies… racing every weekend, and after every race your replacing parts, and there is always new engines or new batteries and motors that have more speed.

Man I was glad when he turned 16 and decided real cars were more fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.