Home Forums General Discussion Forum New guy Tukat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tukat44
    Participant

Hi all- My name is Joseph Cotter- Some of you know my brother Tim also new to the forum. call me Tukat, everyone else does, or Joseph, Joe, JC- I answer most calls. Long time reading, studying, researching clocks on down to wristwatches, somewhat fascinated with tower clocks mantle clocks, mens Wristwatches and chronographs, found some good stuff on youTube that gave me a shove in the right direction and this, and the generous gift of the Tascione Ultra Course from my brother Tim is why I find myself on this most excellent forum. Got the confidence to take down some of my watches after watching it done on videos, now ready to take it to the next level and maybe open up a shop for watch and clock repair. Still have not a lot of confidence or experience, but at least I know I can take them apart, clean and oil, replace parts like mainsprings etc and if it ran and only needed servicing, it will run when reasssembled. some things are more accessible (like working and fixing a clock arbor or pivot), some things are harder (making up new parts from scratch) but most of it is within our reach and within our ability if we want it to be. I am looking forward to working with all of you. Tukat

willofiam

Howdy Tukat, welcome, great to have yah here, Nice thing about horology is there is always something new and exciting to learn. have a fantastic day, William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Joe welcome. As William said dive right in. The key in my mind is patience and observe. I always check the pivots and pivot holes before I take the clock apart after letting the mainsprings down. Move the wheels back and forth to see if you have a lot of wear on the pivot holes. After disassembly I check every pivot, the teeth on every wheel, the verge, and all the levers for wear. Take your time and don’t rush. It will bite you every time if you do. Don’t ask me how I know this. 😆 The only thing I don’t make is wheels. Cost is just to much and I can have them cut for a song but pivots replaced, arbors, replacing pinions, etc I can do with 2 lathes (taig and boley). I have made a lot of levers from brass and steel by hand. It just takes patience. I make my own bushings when needed. Check out this post of the mainspring arbor I made on my Taig lathe. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1044&p=6968&hilit=+arbors#p6968

Anyway the main thing is to learn, have patience, and have fun. We have all been where you are and even after 30 yrs I still learn every day. I just had a Ithaca Calendar clock come in that I am working on. In all my years have never had one of these so it is a learning process. Lots of research involved. I will be posting some pictures of it. It definitely was a learning process.

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Joe,
            Good to have you up here!

Bob

maitai11
            Participant

Hi Joe :) That’s quite the introduction – even I learned something! All good guys over here…really, really helpful. It’s like they encircle you, and whatever question you have, someone pops up to answer it. I’m sure you know that by now…so glad you’re over here!

Brother Tim :)

tukat44
              Participant

Lucky to be here with all the experience I now have access to. Thanks to you all, William, Bernie Bob and especially my brother Tim

cazclocker
                Participant

Hi Tukat, welcome!
                  …Doug

tukat44
                  Participant

Doug, Thanks- hope to learn lots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.