Home Forums General Discussion Forum New England Pocket Watch Time Set

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    byjwr1
    Participant

Hello Fellow Members,

I have a New England (Scout) PW, size 12, SN 278187. I believe it dates back to the late 1800’s.
      This PW runs well, but, my problem is time set. It is stem wound and I believe stem set. I tried
      pulling out the stem to set the time, but, it does not move. I thought it probably needed to be
      adjusted. I removed the movement and expected to see the end of the stem only. What I saw
      was 2 small gears attached to the end of the stem. One of the gears was slightly larger than the
      other. These two gears prevent the stem from being pulled out to set the PW. My assumption
      is that the stem has to be pushed in ( to mesh with other gears on the movement )instead of
      out, to time set the PW.

I would appreciate some input on this subject. Is my assumption correct?

Thank You

BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Hi BYJWR1,
        Yes you are correct. Push to set. That’s a great little watch! Should have a duplex escapement which sounds like it’s missing a tick. Cool watch BYJWR1.
        Bob

byjwr1
        Participant

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the input! Was the duplex escapement design and push to time set very unusual
          designs?

Thanks
          BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Hi BYJWR1,
            I would say not commonly found and a little unusual in design for a frictional rest escapement. You don’t see too many duplex escapements around as compared to lever escapement watches. The English used to make some very high quality watches using the duplex and the Swiss produced a great number for the Chinese and Turkish Market. The Swiss made “Chinese Duplex” was popular and many movements were skeletonized with extremely ornate engraving and offered some variations of the duplex escapement. Although the escapement variations were interesting they were still basically a duplex. It’s a good escapement but has a few disadvantages when used for an everyday type watch. One major one was it’s inability to self start if stopped by a sudden shock where the lever escapement solves this problem. When built correctly it can keep extremely accurate time. The reason for what seems like a missing tick is that the balance receives impulse in one direction only; unlike the lever escapement which receives impulse in both directions. Waterbury used them in some of their watches in America and when they reorganized as the New England Watch Co. they continued to use this escapement in some of their watches. These American duplex watches were “lower end” timepieces but are highly collectible.
            Same with the push to set. You don’t see too many around. It too is usually found in lower end watches but not nearly as often as the normal pull to set. In fact I can’t recall seeing this type of setting in any higher end watch. That doesn’t mean they didn’t make them only that I don’t remember seeing any.
            All in all it’s action is cool to watch and listen to. It’s a fun escapement for those of us that are hooked on this stuff!
            Enjoy it BYJWR1,
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.